Quirky issue with UPS and new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bartonjm, Dec 13, 2013.

1. bartonjm macrumors member

Hello folks. I recently purchased a cyber power(CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD Intelligent LCD Series UPS 1000VA 600W AVR Mini-Tower) to use with my new 27" i7 iMac. The other day I noticed a quirky little issue where I got a message for a brief second that my imac was running on battery power, but clearly the iMac was not. The tool bar never, nor did the ups, state that the power source had changed, but a pop up message did. It only happened once so far, up is there anything to be concerned about?

2. macs4nw, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Based upon your description of the situation, I don't believe you have anything to worry about. Virtually all UPSs have an audible alarm, when switching to battery power, so your 'battery power message' may have simply been a software glitch. Needless to say, check to see if your 'PowerPanel for Mac' software is up to date.

Your line voltage can fluctuate quite a bit, depending on your location and the time of day (or night). Most modern US consumer-grade electronic equipment can reliably operate from 100-130V, without damaging it.

I'm not intimately familiar with that particular unit, but I do know it has AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation), which can compensate to a point, for voltage fluctuations, without going to battery power. Check your manual to see if the cut-off points are adjustable, ie where you specify the low voltage and high voltage you allow, expressed as a range, for instance 90-130V. If this is set too tight, for example 110-125V, the slightest over-voltage or brown-out could send you to battery power, which shortens its life.

3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

My APC UPS units do a periodic battery self test where they briefly switch to battery operation and measure the condition of the battery. The normal pop-up messages relating to "operating on battery power" briefly appear on the screen. Yours may be doing a similar self test.

-howard

4. Bear macrumors G3

Ditto.

5. bartonjm thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I was reading everything I could to try to figure this out, so this helps. Appreciate it.