Quit an App when Closed.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EnzoAmata, Dec 27, 2010.

1. EnzoAmata macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

Why does the Mac always make the app run on the dock even though I closed the app. Can I make an app quit when I close it?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Typically...

If an App can run multiple windows, closing the last window does not quit the App
    You will have to do command+Q to quit or select from the menu

If an App only runs one window, closing the window will close the App

It is how the OSX/Apple interface works

3. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

I'm running Chrome right now, if I press the red button top left, it still has the blue light under it on the Dock which I assume it's still running, right?

I'm asking when I click the red x I want it to quit, is that possible?

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

While this is a strongly embedded Windows train of thought, there is no real way to mimic this behavior in Mac. After a little google though, it appears someone has made a workaround to do this, if you are interested:

http://superuser.com/questions/53935/getting-mac-os-x-applications-to-close-after-last-window-closed

Its about halfway down the page.

5. rien333 macrumors regular

No, I think it is not possible. However some applications can be quited by clicking the red x. It is something what the developer decideds. You could go into the source code of chrome to change itbut I wouldn't recommended that. I actually like my applications not stopping when closing them, but I understand it can be annoying, especially for windows users.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yeah, this is by design. The best way is to get used to hitting Cmd-Q to quit. This is because Mac's philosophy is application-based whereas Windows is window-based.

One isn't necessarily better than the other, but you get used to it.

7. EnzoAmata, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

Old habits die hard! I've just moved over from Win7 as you guys can tell - lol

Thanks for the work around :)

I am trying to change, hang in there with me people...

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Your next hurdles...

No cut/paste of files in the Finder
    Only resize windows from the bottom right corner, not anywhere
    No select deletion of files in the Trash

Good luck with the transition ;)

9. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

You will get used to it, and probably learn to appreciate it. The great thing about the app not completely closing is that when you launch it again it will pop back instantly, no waiting for the app to reload. It's only a couple seconds, but its nice.

10. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

What? I copy/paste in finder. Actually, I use cmd + x and then cmd + v (cut and paste instead of copy. Copy = cmd + c)

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can copy / cut and paste text in an application
    You cannot cut files and paste them to another location in the finder

12. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Interesting...I just tried this, and although CMD+C works, CMD+X does not.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can copy/paste in OS X, but you cannot CUT/paste. At least not by default. There are some Automater actions and hacks to work around this, but in a default config OS X does not cut/paste files in Finder by design.

14. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I know you can copy files. I've done it. Just did it. Yea can't cut and paste, never noticed that before.

15. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

I noticed this right away, always having to go and delete the original file.

16. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Think of it like this...

OS X's Dock is like the Windows start menu, taskbar and notification area (system tray) all in one place.

An icon in the dock is more than a shortcut to start the application. It'll also display status information (e.g. Mail's unread-mail count or Chrome's in-progress downloads count) and let you control the app's window visibility (click to bring-to-front, click and hold for 'expose')

Now, if applications closed completely just because you closed their window, the Dock would really be just a dumb application launcher. Just because you're finished reading your email doesn't mean you don't want to be notified about any new email. Likewise, just because you've closed all of Chrome's web page windows doesn't mean you want it to stop your current downloads.

It's a tough habit to break, but you really don't have to worry an awful lot about how many apps you've got running. OS X won't bog-down when many apps are open.

I tend to do a kind of 'sweep' when I'm changing tasks. Use Command+Tab (basically the same way as you use Alt+Tab in Windows). Tap Tab a few times to highlight each app's icon, then if you want it gone just tap Q to quit it (still holding Command down!). I'll quit any apps I know I'm done with and leave everything else open. I'll never quit Mail and Safari, but I'll close Xcode when I'm done programming for the day.

Hope that helps!

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Are you trying to install anti-virus and shutting the computer down everytime you are moving it too?

18. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

AVG FTW! :rolleyes:

19. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of how OS X deals with running applications. An application can't "not completely close"... it's either running or it isn't, and whether or not a window is open is simply a parameter. So when you open a window in an application you haven't quit, it opens instantly because you're not launching the application.

If you have recently quit the application, it does still launch faster because the contents are still in the RAM.

20. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

Nice explanation. I know how it work's just commenting on old habits.

21. Gregg2 macrumors 603

And . . .
    The green button does not make the window go to "full screen".
    You can't change the font in the menu bar.

22. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Lion will fix the green button though :D

23. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

Bring on the Lion! :)