Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Is there any way I can actually quit an app by pressing the red dot on a window?

Every time I do that, I still find it open in the app switcher. I know I can press cmd + Q, but coming from Microsoft Windows, I forget that pressing the red dot doesn't actually close the app.

I only bought my first macbook yesterday, so please be gentle with me!

I'm running the latest version of Ventura.

Reactions: Miicat_47

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
give it some time.
i'm not using the mouse to close apps on any system that allows cmd/ctrl + Q/W as it is simply way quicker.
you can also use cmd+Q in the App Switcher (the cmd+tab thingie) to close more, or all apps in one go by pressing Q on the selected app

Reactions: Miicat_47

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
I have tried both:

RedQuits
+quits almost every app, 99% of the time
+very quick to close an app
- Intel app with no Apple version planned.

Swift Quit
+configurable app list
+Apple silicon already
-sometimes it just won't quit some apps
-slower to close apps

After 2 years of going back and forth, I have settled on RedQuits: it is fast, gets the job done and low resource to matter even if it is an Intel / Rosetta app

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Every time I do that, I still find it open in the app switcher.
On the Mac, some apps do quit when you close the last window. Generally those are apps that only have one window, like System Settings. Apps that are document based and support multiple windows will generally stay open even after you close the last window.

Apple would say you need not care whether it's running or not. That's why the default is not to display a dot under the running apps in the dock. The operating system will manage the machine for you and it won't really consume many resources. If the machine needs more RAM, it will automatically terminate apps that aren't being used.

Having said all that, I do tend to quit apps I'm not using (using cmd-Q).

watagan

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2022
I found RedQuits to annoyingly kill some apps completely when closing subsidiary windows like app settings or when composing an email. Using BetterTouchTool I've configured left click to quit the app and right click to close the window, whichever is appropriate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.