Quit application when closing last window?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anarchopath, Mar 12, 2013.

1. anarchopath macrumors member

anarchopath

What do I need to do in order for applications to quit when I close the last window?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Just hit Command-Q, AFAIK there is no way to auto quit an Application on last windows closure.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Switch to Windows?

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Applications that can only have one window open at a time; eg, iPhoto and iMovie, will quit when you close the window. Apps that can have multiple windows open won't quit when you close a window.

5. anarchopath thread starter macrumors member

anarchopath

I guess I'm wondering if there's a solid app (solid in the vein of BetterTouchTool: not buggy, and well recognized among Mac fans who feel inclined to seek out such functionality) that will allow this, or maybe a tweak I can implement myself?

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Just get used to it, even if it's possible with lets say Applescript orAutomator it would be looking continuously for a window to close which needs CPU resources, even worse, if you made that system wide the Finder would quit as well, don't think you want that to happen, and as the other poster said above, if you don't like it go to Windows.
    Command-Q is the fastest way, simple and effective.

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

OS X is gradually moving towards a paradigm in which the user is generally unaware of which apps are running and which aren't (as can be seen in iOS).

With fast SSD-based drives, apps load very quickly.

With Resume, documents are reloaded, so that even if the app was quit, there's no real difference between switching to an open app and launching a quit one.

The Dock no longer shows indicator light for open apps by default.

Apple has introduced "Automatic Termination", in which apps appear to the user to be quit, but aren't.

In short: this is yet another thing on OS X that you need to stop managing yourself, and let OS X do it.
    Now, get on with your work! :D

8. anarchopath thread starter macrumors member

anarchopath

Well to be fair, the dock indicator is on by default. But I'm not griping about efficient hands off app management, in fact that's brilliant. What bugs me is a dirty dock in my spotless OS X on my super clean rMBP. If it's efficient for an app to be open after I close it, fantastic. But I'd like for the indicator light to not loiter around on my beautiful screen for apps that don't have any windows open.

You're right, if an app is going to always be open then the indicator isn't useful. But it can be useful, for example on an OS where you can have multiple windows of a given app.

So I could rephrase the original question: is there a way (hack/tweak/app) to disable indicator lights for "open" apps that have no windows?

"Just getting used to it" is the philosophy of savages and Windows users. Human progress is the result of intelligent people refusing to "just get used to it". I'm not ashamed of my intelligence, and I embrace my capacity to see room for improvement.

This topic isn't about a gripe or anything whatsoever to do with Windows.

As far as Command-Q, I understand how to quit an application, there are several ways. The question wasn't about how to manually quit an application. Like benwilly said, the brilliance of a modern OS is that it automatically manages what used to be manual tasks—I would like to make it manage the indicator light once it's done indicating useful information to me.

9. MacBAir macrumors member

MacBAir

 - system preferences - dock - uncheck the last option

About app's windows... Well, they are either minimized (and you can see them on your dock, with the right app icon) or they are in your screen. Just put 4 fingers and up.

I don't see the issue, here. It seems to me that you are stuck on a particular way of doing things. Let me guess: You also turn off your machine many times per day.

10. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Dude, this thread is 3 1/2 years old. OS X has changed a lot since then and on top I guess there is not an answer needed anymore. Let the dead rest in peace.