quit applications before restarting ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AMSOS, Nov 25, 2010.

1. AMSOS macrumors newbie

hi all,
    i just started using the basic MBP 13in.
    and one of nice features is the ability to close but not quit applications. definitely lets applis load up faster ..
    but is it important to make sure that one has quit all applications before one says reboots or shuts down the system ?
    basically if i have several applications minimized i.e. i have simply closed and not quit them, is it ok to shutdown or reboot the system ? does this cause some kind of file system corruption etc? is it a good practice ?
    thanks

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

There isn't really anything to worry about, of course the more apps you have open the longer it will take to shutdown or reboot. Should an app require the user to take action the app will appear at the front of the screen for actions such as saving documents. Failure to take action within a certain amount of time would cancel the shutdown or restart commend leaving any unsaved documents awaiting a decision from the user.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

It might take a few seconds longer to shutdown or reboot, but it won't cause serious issues; the applications receive a signal from the OS kernel telling them to shutdown.