Quit apps by closing window??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xi mezmerize ix, Sep 26, 2010.

1. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Some applications, such as System Preferences, Coconut Battery, iPhoto, etc., quit when I close the window. Is there a terminal command or something else that will enable that feature for every app? Thanks in advance.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Typically, apps that are only capable of using one window will close when the window is closed

Those that can use multiple windows (Safari for example) will remain open when you close a window. You will need to close those apps manually.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You can click on the application name on the navigation bar and click quit. The other method is the shortcut of command + Q.

Attached Files:

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

To answer the original question, I am not aware of any Terminal command that would make this possible for every app

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Every app is different with window management. There wouldn't be a universal setting, but you could look for a setting in individual apps.

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

whats the point of quiting every app?
    it just slows you down, like on windows.

7. amityweb macrumors member

I am also searching for this, its quite annoying when at the end of the day I notice I have loads of apps still running in the dock (the little light under them) and I have to manually click and quit each one! I am getting used to Command+Q but old habbits die hard, its so easy to just click X and think its gone.

This is only true if you use the apps regularly. Its the opposite if you only use it once/rarely then you have an unused app using resources running in the background, which may all build up with many apps over time if you leave the computer on like I do. So it adds to my time to manually close apps all the time.

Edit: Just found this post http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/135405-little-red-button-vs-quit-application.html that mentioned the Command + Tab shortcut to view running apps, combined with a Command +Q to close I think it will be fast enough. It is just getting used to the Command + Q option rather than X I think is the issue.

8. Golfwolf macrumors member

Golfwolf

Thanks for the Command + Tab tip, I am new to the world of OS X.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It takes about a quarter of a second to hit cmd+Q. I'm not seeing how that slows you down. If anything, not quitting apps when you're done with them slows you down more unless you've got tons of RAM.

There are apps I almost never quit, but something like Photoshop I'll quit when I'm done with it.