Quit Praising RipIt!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macrazee, May 7, 2010.

1. macrazee macrumors regular

This software is absolute rubbish! Despite about 20 different versions in the last month or two, RipIt *STILL* produces crap output! Be VERY CAREFUL with this DVD ripper. It may be fine if you just want to Handbrake a title, but if you (like me) prefer to make a 1:1 ACCURATE WORKING disc copy, RipIt is NOT a good idea. The output is so bad many times that third-party DVD reauthoring solutions like DVDRemaster Pro, DVD2OneX, Toast, etc will not even accept the rip or will report it as corrupted!

Check your rips! I'd be curious how many people who claim to have had "no issues" actually do...because I've tested numerous discs and found errors in nearly EVERY SINGLE ONE. Menus loop, titles are played out-of-order, buttons do not work, etc. Obviously RipIt has serious issues with the various copy protection schemes. Don't assume just because RipIt says it was successful that you have a good, working, valid rip. Many times you DO NOT!

And if you don't believe me check their own forums! Chock full of people with similar complaints. This software is a real turd and I wish I could get my $20 bill back.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It works every time for me when I need to encode my DVDs; I don't care about the menus and such, so it works for me.

3. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

Ditto for me too ... I have been using it for more than 6 months and I have only had one disk it could not "rip". That issue was fixed with a later release. I should note, that I am converting my DVDs to m4vs to view on my Apple TV. I am not attempting to make a literal copy of the DVD original.

4. rk1991 macrumors regular

Are you using it right. I have never had problems with it.
    You do know it rips to a .dvdmedia by default and you have to either extract the real rip from the .dvdmedia folder or change the settings.

5. macrazee thread starter macrumors regular

I guess no one makes 1:1 copies for archival anymore? I make a copy for AppleTV as well but I want a full backup of the original DVD (especially for kids titles...) and this is where RipIt problems are numerous.

6. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I've used both ripit, mac the ripper 4.0, and some pc software. The sad state is that all of the mac programs have some limitations.

I currently keep an old pc running just for DVD decrypter, DVD shrink, and DVD fab. Hopefulliy some of the mac software will improve to the point I can retire the pc.

7. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I've only had problems with two of the DVD's I've ripped using ripit, out of a few hundred. And updates sorted that out.

I either leave the rips as they are or re-encode them, the menus have always worked fine for me with the copies, as have subtitles and other features.

Though I have had some issues with the optical drive that came with my Mac, it seemed to produce some bad rips, or cause them to fail completely. Solved that by buying a decent Samsung SATA drive and flashed it to get rid of the riplock and region restrictions.

Though I never make 1:1 copies.

8. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I have never had an issue ripping a DVD with it. I always rip using this before converting with HandBrake.