Quit Preview

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JP89Hornet, Jul 17, 2008.

1. JP89Hornet macrumors regular

JP89Hornet

There may be a simple way to solve this that I am unaware of, but how do I auto-quit Preview?!?!? I am used to multi-tasking and when I open an image or document I just want to click on the red dot and be done with it!!!

-Jake

2. ihabime macrumors 6502

Command-Q is your friend.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats the way it works in OS X. multi windowed applications do not quit if you click the red X button but single windowed applications will quit.

keeping the application open is useful for when you want to open another file but you dont have to wait for the application to launch again.

if you are finished with the application either select "Quit" from the menu bar, right click on its dock icon and choose "Quit" or press "cmd+Q".

4. JP89Hornet thread starter macrumors regular

JP89Hornet

I know... I just don't think it's necessary for the "Preview" application... but I guess I can just keep trying to remember each time!!!!

5. JP89Hornet thread starter macrumors regular

JP89Hornet

I was just wondering if ther was an option like when printing where you can choose "Auto-Quit"

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sorry there isnt. just keep apps that you use regulary open and the quit ones you wont use for a while.

7. JP89Hornet thread starter macrumors regular

JP89Hornet

Thanks

8. superbungalow macrumors member

Bump. This is really bugging me. Mac diehards will harp on about it not being the mac way to quit when a window is closed, but surely it makes sense with some programs? And obviously apple agrees with me... consider system preferences. It has no need to be opened in the background, and so quits automatically. Preview should be the same. It's the same with dictionary. Little utility apps you will not need when they are closed. Calculator. Font Book. iSync. Airport Utility. It would not be unusual behaviour.

Anyway, I can't change how apple does things, they are often inconsistent, all I want is some sort of hack to make this happen. That little preview icon bugs the hell out of me.

9. simsaladimbamba

Preview and Dictionary can have multiple windows and Calculator, Font Book and System Preferences (and others) can't have multiple windows.
    And to quit an application one can also use CMD+Q, unless the keyboard is not an option, nut it takes less than a second to press these two keys.

10. superbungalow macrumors member

Dictionary quits when the last window is closed. Explain that. It's inconsistent, and I can't be bothered to press cmd-Q every time. I don't know what it is about preview, but I just close it by the close button every time. Is there a ways to make it quit when the last window is closed like dictionary?

11. simsaladimbamba

I didn't see that, as I had another Dictionary window open somewhere (out of sight) as I usually have ten to 25 applications open and many more windows.

I don't of a way of quitting Preview though, but if an application bothers me that much, or its icon, I normally quit while switching via CMD+TAB.

Anyway, this has been discussed dozens of times, and Apple is still using this strange behaviour.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because Dictionary only uses one window. As has already been stated, if an app is a single-window app, closing the window closes the app. If an app supports multiple windows, closing a window doesn't close the app. It's the way Mac OS X is designed. Command+Q isn't exactly a hardship. Preview supports multiple windows, so if you want the app to close, use Command+Q or quit with the menu.

13. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

i wonder what will happen in lion with the resuming app feature and how it relates to what's talked about in this thread, how they will show a running application or not

14. superbungalow macrumors member

Wrong. Dictionary supports multiple windows. Open dictionary and press Command+N if you don't believe me. When the last one closes, dictionary quits. There's no two ways about it, it's inconsistent.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Nope. Doesn't open a new window. Neither does the menu have a new window option:
    ScreenCap 6.PNG
    Like Safari does:
    ScreenCap 7.PNG

16. simsaladimbamba

It does so in 10.6 though. You should really upgrade your Pismo already. System 7 is so 70s.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, this is so 70s! (and yes, I used to use one of these!)
    [​IMG]

18. simsaladimbamba

Yeah, those were the times. I especially liked the GUI of these, one could easily switch applications and run at least another au pair.

Do I miss those machines, but nothing goes beyond a Robotron anyway.
    [​IMG]

Yeah, you guessed right, the above is not the Robotron.

[​IMG]

19. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well, Apple where inconsistent with app quitting behaviour only to Dictionary when they added a new window option in 10.6 then.