Quit Smoking

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CEF5, Mar 6, 2011.

1. CEF5 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just quit smoking after 7 years. I used to be a heavy smoker, 20-25 a day :eek:

Hopefully I'll be saving a lot of money = spending more money on :apple: products

anyways, any ex smokers that would like to share their story ?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, I quit using e-cigarettes. It 's a damn miracle what those things did for me. I never thought I could, but I have not had a cigarette in over two weeks now- and I don't want one. It's really incredible.

3. CEF5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the e-cigs and it didn't work for me for some reason. I tried nicotine gum and hated it too. The patches seem to do the trick for me, though.

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I quit 10 months ago, cold turkey. It made an influence on my fiancee she quit too and most, including her say she won't/can't quit unless she's pregnant. :)

Edit: I smoked for over 15 years and I still have cravings here and there, but it's not as bad as I imagined.

5. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I quit smoking 13 years, 10 months, 1 day, 8 hours, 26 minutes, and 1 second ago. During that time, I would have smoked 111,111 cigarettes. (That's like smoking a 5.26 mile-long cigarette) By quitting, I've saved $19,444.42! (That's 38 iPads). I've avoided inhaling 2.89 kg of tar, 177 grams of nicotine, and 1.78 kg of carbon monoxide.

6. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I'm a pack a day smoker, tried the e-cig's, but couldn't really do it.

I cut back on the nights that I "went out" and now I'm down to about 2 cigarettes a day via the patches. I'm hoping this lasts.

7. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I was on a 6 month cigarette smoking stint freshman year of highschool after trying my first joint and cigarette as a "congratulations for graduating middle school" during summer with some friends in another state. I didn't know where to get weed back home, but a friend's brother could buy my the cigarettes, so I stuck with them. I smoked about 5 cigarettes per day, sometimes more if I was stressed out.

I was caught smoking behind the cafeteria during lunch period by my English teacher. Ironically, he was going outside to smoke too, which he was not allowed to do while "working". He told me to put it out, get back inside, and not let him catch me out there again.

I realized then, I can't go through life trying to hide this habit I knew was discussing and was going to give me lung cancer anyway (we had an assembly about the ill affects of drugs and alcohol the second week of school and it did scare me, as intended.) So, I had my friend's brother buy the Nicorette step 1 patches. With the patches, my own willpower, and support from my two best buddies, two weeks later I had my last cigarette at 11:46pm on December 7, 2003.

In college, I've socially experimented with hookah, tobacco pipes, Black&Mild cigars, a bunch of "natural" herbal stuff, vaporizers, and weed. I loved them all, but have quit everything but B&Ms. (I would smoke weed if I didn't have a job that drug tested.) About twice a month my roommate and I split a B&M after a night of drinking as we talk philosophically about random stuff.

I've probably spent about $2500 on everything I've smoked to date. At this point I spend $5 on a 5 pack B&M every 4 months. At $15/year it would take me 33.34 years to spend the equivalent of an iPad ($500). How much money I would save if I gave up alcohol is an entirely different story!

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I have been tapering off. Down to a pack a month (when I get together with former coworkers at the bar).

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I quit by having lots of great sex. Was the only thing that worked for me.

10. The Great Boony, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2011

The Great Boony macrumors regular

I've started my quitting today! got loads of gum.... Not sure how long I'll last though...

Been smoking for 15 years....

I bet his father was mad.

11. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Same thing. I quit a year an a half ago with e-cigarettes. It took me three weeks until I got bored of smoking.

And I was determined to keep smoking until we had flying cars.

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Same here, except I quit 20 months ago (after smoking 30-40 a day for 25 years). No withdrawal and no pain, just a nice easy way to stop smoking :D

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's incredible how well it worked.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They say that some of the craving is the hand-action.

15. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I haven't tried a cigarette or smoked at all, or plan to at all. Which is good, because I'm only 15. I don't see any benefits to it whatsoever.