Quit Whining!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iindigo, Oct 20, 2009.

1. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Okay, so I get up this morning and see the new releases. Overall I find myself pretty damn happy, especially in the case of the iMacs.

I then head to the MR forums thinking, "I wonder what the MR crew thinks of these", only to find fleets of whiners. What gives?

I mean for just over $2k, you get a quad-core 2.8 i7 that in some cases can spike up to 3.46Ghz (which is faster than the baseline Mac Pro, mind you), 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, a 27" *-IPS display with a very high resolution (not those ****** cheapass TN panels like all the other companies sell you and easily worth at least $700 on its own), decent graphics, and a wireless keyboard and multi-touch mouse. I don't care what anybody says, that's a hell of a deal, and none of the stupid little crap everyone is complaining about constitute as deal-breakers.

2. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

Whatever, brah.

no user replaceable HD
    crap video card options
    16:9? wtf?
    no blu ray

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Why do I need to cough up more than $2,000 for a quad core from Apple?

4. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Because the entry-level iMac is the "consumer" machine, and even a 2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo is overkill for that type of customer... the higher end is intended for those of us who could use some of the oomph of a Mac Pro but can't really afford one.

What you guys are looking for is a headless middleground between the Mac Mini and Mac Pro. Don't take your wrath out on the iMac just because it doesn't tailor to your every whim.

P.S. Blueray is overrated outside of data storage. If you really want it that badly, go buy an external drive already.

5. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

While I am perfectly happy with the iMac's update, I still find it ironic that you set up a thread to whine about people whining.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The threads that request for the whining to stop aren't doing anyone any good. They're just as bad as the threads where people are whining.

7. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

It wasn't really my intention to whine. I just wanted to express my feelings of "WTF?!" upon reading some of these people's complaints.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Whining about people whining...

I have to fully agree, I thought that today's announcements were a substantial upgrade and left not a whole lot to be desired, realistically.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

$1,199 is entry level?

I can order an Athlon II + 780G tower for $319.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

in apple land it is

seriously, quad cores have been out for years now in mainstream, common desktops

no need to be charging a premium for it

but its apple and they tout it as new tech so go figure

no way in H. E. double hockey sticks should anyone pay over 2k for a quad core that you cant even replace the hdd in LOL

11. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

You're forgetting the price of the screen and enclosure entirely. A decent 20" H-IPS display is at least $650. The case obviously costs more than the plastic that tower is enclosed in as well. Let's see:

$319 Computer
    +$650 Display
    ------------------
    $969 Total

Looks like I found the majority of that price gap...

Once again, you're looking for a headless midground between the Mac mini and the Mac Pro, NOT an iMac...

12. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

A lot of people don´t mind paying that and they do get a great machine.
    I used to have a 24" iMac and it served me great. When I needed I upgraded to a pro.
    If you don´t make money off your computer, you don´t need a pro. You might want it though
    EDIT: Meant to quote dukebound85

13. supinternet macrumors newbie

supinternet

THANK YOU!
    Finally someone smart around here!

14. Hj12345 macrumors member

nobody need bluray?

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Posts that criticize whiners who post threads about whining is well, whining. ;)

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The people buying those $300 towers are looking for IPS panels right? :rolleyes:

You're thinking like Apple and not someone buying a computer. The majority of people have never heard of IPS or any other panel technology.

17. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I suppose you have a point, but if Apple cheaped out and made a ~$700 20" TN panel variation, they'd not only be cannibalizing their Mac Mini sales, but you'd have people here still bitching about "why isn't it even CHEAPER?" or, "come on, soak up some cost and give us H-IPS at that price!".

Personally, I applaud Apple for avoiding cheap LCD panels. I wish more companies in the industry would follow suite...

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Posts that criticize writers of posts who criticize whiners who post threads about whining is also whining. ;) :p

19. 3lutz3toe macrumors member

Wow, this upgrade is super. Glad I waited and I may even wait abit longer for the next one! LOL
    —I totally agree that Blue-Ray drive would be overkill. If you want one, then get one as a separate burner. I'd rather have the cost down than to have Blue-Ray, which I don't even use or need at this point. DVD quality is good enough for me at this point also!
    —500GB for the standard? and 4GB? What more would you want for a consumer grade Imac?

20. o2xygen macrumors regular

While Im pleased about certain aspects, such as he 6:9 screen, the lowered price, the much higher clocked C2D in lower models, and the dedicated graphics in all but the lowest model I cant help but feel this is still a slight rip-off. I'll personally keep my fingers crossed for a wicked revision 2 before buying.

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

So the consumer is wrong and Apple is right? :rolleyes:

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I was not whining, it was merely an observation. :p

23. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

Then do it and move on. Have fun putting Snow Leopard on it and keeping it updated.

24. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

Only anecdotal consumers.

25. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

I don't see your point.

You can get a DoubleSight H-IPS 26" monitor for about $600.

Also, most people who will be buying these won't see the advantages of in-plane switching monitors anyways. As a matter of fact, more people will benefit more from the cheaper TN panel's lower response times than from IPS's numerous, questionable (to most users) advantages. Compare a GOOD quality TN panel and a decent IPS panel while looking at reasonable viewing angles and very few people could tell the difference.