Quit working for Apple on day 2.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tortex, Oct 10, 2009.

1. tortex macrumors member

Hello.

A while back I asked on here if I should take a job Apple offered me, to be a Creative. I took it, was excited, then quit on day 2. Here's why.

On both interviews I was told that I would be using all my creative talent to teach people, and help people, use a plethora of creative software. I was going to be using Adobe CS, Final Cut Studio, Maya and Modo. I've been involved in 3D for almost 20 years, love to teach it, and was told the Creative role would allow that.

I turn up for training, meet the people, everyone seems nice, although a little bit too in love with Apple. I get called into a morning meeting, called a Download, and greeted by everyone. They did this chant thing where they spelled out Apple, with each letter being a different word - that was odd. Download over I go into a tiny back room cupboard to start my training. It turns out this is reading a ton of stuff about how various Apple apps work, such as how to import music from a CD in iTunes etc, the kind of stuff that everyone outside of a deaf, blind, dead, buried and rotten half breed can figure out for themselves. This was supposed to cary on for two days, I started to get suspicious. I tried talking to the Creative who was training me, he seemed more interested in playing with Final Cut, going through Lynda.com training material.

So I carry on with it, thinking it would get better. It did, I was asked to go into the store to sit in on a session with a Creative, and watch how they teach. That was fun, the lady (who was very sweet) needed to know how Time Machine works, and the Creative took the entire hour to show her, wow. I mean, I didn't realise it had to be that complex. Surely the point of Time Machine is, well, anyway, you get the idea.

I had lunch, then went back where I was given a pep talk about Apple, how secure my job would be, how much money the store had made, how many new 'Apple Owners' they had 'made'. I was constantly asked what I thought about that, 'how does that make you feel' etc. My response was something along the lines of 'well, if you make money, I get paid'. That made the frown, it wasn't in the spirit of things. Next came the incredibly peculiar bit, the language of Apple. I was told what to say and how to say it, how to deal with certain questions etc. I told them I was a grown up now and could deal with awkward customers and that I knew enough about Apple products to be able to deal with any questions that could arise. And then it came, the killer. 'But what would you say if an Apple Owner wanted to learn how to edit a digital photo in Photoshop?'. My response was something along the lines of 'show them'.

That's the wrong answer. No matter that in both interviews I was specifically told I'd be using all sorts of software etc, that was wrong. Apple don't acknowledge software or hardware they don't make, if you paid to see a Creative, it better be about an Apple product otherwise forget it. So, that pissed me off. I can't sit with people wanting to use iPhoto all day, I'm slightly beyond iPhoto. Sure, I'd do it when the occasion calls, which I was told would be every other day or so. Where was Final Cut, Maya, Modo? Where was the time where I'd be teaching complex stuff to people? That's not allowed, you're not allowed to be creative as a Creative. I asked why Apple had 'Think Different' as a campaign when the people they employ were not allowed to be. That started a long conversation with the manager of the store, who instead of trying to convince me that working for Apple was good, thought I'd rather be made aware of how much money they had made in the previous week, and where they stood in terms of global store sales.

So I went back to my hotel, packed, and in the morning told them that was it. The benefits I was told about, cheap Apple gear, the percentages knocked off etc, was all lies. You get a certain amount off, but it's not worth being in a cult for. I still think Apple machines are great, I still like OS X more than Windows (although Snow Leopard is a disappointment). But would I ever want to work for Apple again? No thanks, I prefer to have my own ideas thank you. The final thing my manager said to me clinched it though, 'If you quit Apple now, you'll never work for us again'. Don't worry mate, wasn't going to.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You were staying in a hotel while working a floor job as a creative in a retail store?

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Sorry about your experience, but I'm kind of surprised that you decided to take what's essentially nothing more than a retail job, given your background. Perhaps being an adjunct professor at a local community college would be more to your liking? I did this for a couple of seasons teaching Macromind Director (I'm really dating myself here), and had a blast.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Exactly what I was thinking while I read that.

The reason you would stay in a hotel would be if the job was far away from home. Why would you choose a retail job that was far enough away from your home that you would need to rent a hotel?:confused:

5. zoomungus macrumors member

Dude, maybe you spent too much time working for yourself/own business etc? I like to do my own thing having been self employed for a long time

Happy employees=good business:)

6. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Sympathy, you will get none.

If you have 20+ years in 3D software experience, why the f**k would you go work for Apple in a RETAIL environment?

FAIL.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sounds like someone had a bit too much of an ego for a retail job. Everyone knows in retail you do what they tell you and thats it. What did you expect?

As for cult, every company has their policies and creepy slogans and such you are to adhere to. Apple retail is simply that, a retail store.

8. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

9. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

SOMEONE didn't do his research. The job is Apple creative, not Adobe creative.

You do know people with Adobe questions do go to Adobe for answers? Adobe software cost more than many Macs, why would Apple pay to give people lessons in Adobe products?

Training is in west coast (for a couple of weeks) and you stay in hotel for the duration.

Exactly.

11. zoomungus macrumors member

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So you mean this person didn't even make it to the actual store they were working in?

13. felt. macrumors 6502a

for some reason this story reminds me of the scene in office space where they're talking about how many pieces of flair they have on their uniforms. :eek:

14. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

OP..why would you seriously expect Apple to train people coming into the store on 3rd party software? Why would you expect to teach people complicated programs in a retail environment?

Sears may be hiring. Pick up on aisle 2.

15. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yeah our local store needs people

LoL just thinking that my self

16. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    Ahem.. McDonalds.. ;):D

17. macfan881 macrumors 68020

i think he was being sarcastic there but yeah i never quit a job within the first week especailly now

18. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I don't get all of the nitpicking here, it's pretty much an inside joke that Photoshop is one of the biggest Mac games out there. :D

You'd think Apple would be pleased if their customer wanted to use Photoshop to edit a photo, means they'd probably be able to sell them a more expensive Mac to handle that big bad program! lol.

That said, it would be incredibly easy to tell if a person should be using iphoto or not.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I'm with you. Sounded like a pretty crappy employer to work for. If 'help the customer' wasn't the right answer to a customer answer, you're workig for a poor retailer, or a particular manager (or whatever) with poor managing skills. My last retail employer would allow us to call up competing retailers to see if they had a particular item in stock for a customer if we didn't carry it. We did have the 2nd best customer service in Toronto, but I'd expect most other half decent retailers to do a bit better than 'don't help the customer.'

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Retail, after twenty years of working with this software, you take a retail job?

Also, I'm almost positive that a deaf person could work iPhoto.

21. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

They didn't give you one of these did they?

[​IMG]

:p

I do think it's weird, as others have pointed out, that you took a job in retail after all that experience though.

In fact, this whole story just all sounds too exagurated as well.

22. tortex thread starter macrumors member

Wow, wasn't expecting such a response. To all the people saying I shouldn't have quit in this climate of zero jobs, I was offered another two after the Apple one so had something to fall back on. I'm glad I decided to leave, my new job is exactly where I wanted to be.

I've been working with 3D for a long long time, but VisFX is a hard place to be right now. It's expensive to do (you have your computers and software to pay for, which can easily top $100k a year), the profits are now very minimal, and the clients are all outsourcing to foreign lands. I never saw the Apple job as a career, it was to keep me on until things start to settle.

But anyway, some of you may have mis-read my original post. I was told twice that I would be required to teach advanced software to clients who pay for support, this was mainly to be Final Cut Studio, Adobe CS and 3D software. Liking Apple stuff, teaching and having to solve problems, this sounded great. What I was told at both interviews was 100% not what the job was.

And no, no exaggeration. If anything it's been toned down, I can't begin to describe how strange the entire thing was. The easiest way to think of it was this. When you buy a new Mac thing, you get it home, the packaging is incredible, the experience of opening it is great, it works perfectly, and you feel very happy with your purchase. Take that feeling, inverse it, that was how it felt to be working for Apple. Throw in the added disappointment of being lied to and it was a horrible place.

23. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

If you really have 20+ years of 3D work, then Weta Workshops would probably REALLY want to hear from you. You can come to a country where the recession simply meant that some stores were paranoid.

http://www.wetanz.com/weta-workshop-services/

Or you could make yourself known to Natcoll and teach what you love. The people at natcoll are pretty cool, my sister went there.

But then you've probably never heard of the Backwards country called New Zealand. Who drives on the right side of the road, seriously. :D

24. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

Not sure why everyone is abusing this guy here. It does seem little strange, like some sort of cult, although I can't imagine other Apple stores being the same. Generally shops have advice on how to deal with customers, but nothing as strange as refusing help.
    And the parting word from your manager does seem very strange.

25. nanofrog macrumors G4

I can understand the "fall back" mode of thinking. Especially now.