Quite a few issues in Xcode 4.5.1.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by moonman239, Oct 19, 2012.

1. moonman239, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2012

moonman239 macrumors 68000

Here's my error log:

Code:
    CopyPNGFile "/Users/montana/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Clean_Cuisine-ehgtyvwpzowtevembvxzqrqkppoj/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/Clean Cuisine.app/CCIcon144x144.png" ../../../Desktop/CCIcon144x144.png
        cd "/Users/montana/Documents/Xcode Projects/Clean Cuisine"
        setenv PATH "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin:/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
        /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/copypng -compress "" "/Users/montana/Documents/Xcode Projects/Clean Cuisine/../../../Desktop/CCIcon144x144.png" "/Users/montana/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Clean_Cuisine-ehgtyvwpzowtevembvxzqrqkppoj/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/Clean Cuisine.app/CCIcon144x144.png"

Not a PNG filCommand /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/copypng emitted errors but did not return a nonzero exit code to indicate failure

I don't know what's wrong. All the PNG files are in the project. For some reason, Xcode has duplicated rsz_ccicon114x114.png.

Also, when I run the app on an actual iPad, I don't see the work I've done thus far on the iPad storyboard. It looks like I did nothing else besides add a tab-bar controller and a sleep timer that activates when the app is launched. I did do more than add a tab bar controller to the storyboard, and I took out the sleep timer.

The same thing happened before I updated Xcode to 4.5.1. I had hoped the point update would fix the problem, but alas, it didn't.

Please tell me this is not supposed to happen. If it is, I now have a good reason to hate Xcode as long as I shall live.

2. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay, I reported both issues to Apple via their bug reporter. I'm going to wait to see what they have to say about it. I just built the app and it seems that it's warning me to check my dependencies, but there is nothing listed under "Target Dependencies."

3. CodeBreaker macrumors 6502

Are the layers of the PNG locked? Can you try re saving the PNG with Preview or something?

Xcode has troubled me in the past due to a similar issue. In my case pngcrush would fail (never exit, eating all of the cpu) during archiving.

4. xStep, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2012

xStep macrumors 68000

Waiting for Apple to respond to your bug report will likely yield an infinite wait.

That line in your text that I bolded suggests that the copypng command is being passed a non-PNG file. Is CCIcon144x144.png on your Desktop (which other lines suggests is where the command is looking for it)?

If rsz_ccicon114x114.png is a duplicate reference (pointing to the same file in the Finder) in your project panel on the left, you should be able to remove one of those references.

To confirm where Xcode thinks a file is, hi-light it, press the control key and click the mouse. A pop will appear with the option "Show in Finder".

Click on the Target for the app, click on "Build Phases", expand the "Copy Bundle Resources" and make sure that PNG is listed in there for the path it is actually at.

5. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't know about the layers. How do I check those?
    Thank you for the suggestions. I have already removed the duplicate reference.

I will try both solutions. If the problems are solved, great! But Xcode still sucks.

6. CodeBreaker macrumors 6502

Open the png in Photoshop. In the layers panel if it has a lock icon next to it, it means the layer is locked.

7. moonman239, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

I didn't use Photoshop. All the icons came from a JPG that was renamed to a PNG and resized as necessary.

Anyway, all the files are on the system and Xcode is pointing to the right place.

8. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

I actually got a response from them as to my progress not showing up on the iPad. I'm thinking that marking it as a serious bug put my case above other cases.

I hope I can get this thing resolved in time to make my deadline, but I'm sure my client will forgive me if I don't.

9. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

A JPEG that was renamed to a PNG? What?

You can't rename a JPEG with the extension PNG and have it magically become a PNG. You have to load the JPEG and then save the file to the new format. Photoshop can do that, and there are no doubt other programs that can also do that. I could write a Cocoa or Cocoa touch program that would do that, but the finder most definitely cannot.

If that is how you got your PNG file, that is the cause of your problem, plain and simple.

10. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

I have a picture here that shows otherwise.

Attached Files:

11. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

I'm not sure what your picture is supposed to show. I can tell you with absolute confidence that you cannot rename a file from "foo.jpg" to "foo.png" and expect it to work. It won't.