Quite a problem (kernal panic + broken display)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stegiles, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Stegiles macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I have quite the problem going on at the moment. I went away for the summer only to come back and find my Macbook Pro doesn't work properly. It will turn on, chime and then after 5-10 minutes of loading on the grey mac screen it restarts and an vicious cycle begins. With a little bit of googling I found out it's "kernel panic" and that if I do an archive and install I'll have my mac back to where it was when I left. One problem: my display has been broken for over a year now...BIG crack...nothing remotely readable on-screen. So I don't know where I'm meant to be clicking...it's a nightmare. I've hooked up the laptop to an external monitor but it just adds a desktop to the right instead of mirroring the broken monitor. Anybody know how to get it to do so?

Things I've tried:
    Pressing F7 numerous times.
    Tricking the monitor into starting up with the external display which last until it boots from the cd.
    Resetting the PMU, PRAM and all the other acronyms...

I will be eternally grateful to anyone who helps solve or set me on the road to solving this annoying and unfortunate problem...

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Maybe a long shot, but doesn't the OSX install DVD also have accessibility, well voiceover built in. I'm not sure whether it activates automatically if you don't press any buttons, or whether there's a key combo to start it.

That may be one way of working your way through the install without needing to see anything on the screen, and possibly set up the second screen once installed, that is if it doesn't mirror by default.