Quitting a job you just started gracefully

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rican, Sep 24, 2012.

1. rican macrumors 6502

rican

So,

I relocated for this new job I got, and I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT.... It's not what I originally thought, nor is it what they described it would be to me...

My qualm is not the "getting out of my new lease," it's how to leave my new job gracefully. What should I tell them to reduce the disappointment?

I mean as much as is disappointing for them, it is as well for me too...

Ideas? :confused::mad:

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

First order of business, secure a new job.

Second order of business, write a professionally-worded letter of resignation that says something to the effect that regretfully, you need to move on. You don't have to give a reason in your resignation letter, but I would definitely give one verbally to your supervisor. Say it isn't working for you, it's not what you had hoped it would be, etc. Be thankful for the opportunity, and don't blame them for the job not being a good fit.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No employer will be disappointed to watch an employee who doesn't want to be there leave.

Take Tomorrow's advice, it's the best. Good thing L.A. is big, you should be able to find a new job fairly soon.

4. rican, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2012

rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

This is true, but I feel like a lot has been entrusted in me already - so thats why it's a little hard for me to do so, but I REALLY want to go back home to LA.

Edit: I have a job secured back home in LA whenever I want it :)

5. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Be CERTAIN you have that fallback job. Write the eloquent letter as Tomorrow suggested and have a gracious conversation with your future ex-manager -- you want him/her to remember how well you handled the situation.

To soothe your regrets, think about this: 99% of employers would have no problem at all saying goodbye if the roles were reversed. To me, it's good to have options.

6. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

VERY TRUE. :eek:

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

They should understand, most people get that sometimes a job just isn't what you expected or whatnot. As long as you give them notice so they can find someone else, they shouldn't be upset.

8. dukebound85, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

This

OP, it is YOUR life. Lead it the way you want. Don't be doing something that makes you unhappy when you have the ability to change your situation

I had the same feelings when I moved from CO to NY for a job. Stayed for a little over a year, but yearned to move back a few months in as it just wasn't what I expected. However, it was a great job with great people....just my life outside of work wasn't there. As you are finding out leases and any allowances a company may have given you to help move, or education they provide makes the situation a little more complex as in many cases, there are stipulations attached.

Keep in mind though, every action has consequences. You may want to have a recommendation from these people down the line. Also, not having a plan for what you will do after this job before you take this course of action is entirely unwise so be sure to sort that out (seems you have options but make sure.....would suck to pay 2 leases at once).

Also, a lot of industries are pretty small so try not to burn any bridges.

With that said, I would stick it out if you can but ultimately do what makes you happy. Any employer who interviews you will ask why you left so quick and will instantly have thoughts about your commitment right off the bat. Also, staying would be a benefit as you would not have to break a lease, and you would be gaining experience in an already tight job market. Plus you may not have given it a fair shot just yet.

At any rate, be professional through and through and don't feel the need to explain yourself beyond what is necessary.

9. shiftless macrumors member

This is good advice.

You mentioned relocating, did the current company pay any relocation funds to you? If so, you may be asked for reimbursment depending on how long you have been there.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

not only the reimbursement you saw in your bank account, but also potentially the taxes they paid on the amt they gave you

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

generally speaking moving expenses can be covered tax free and fall under per diem

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Just speaking from my own experience and what I would have had to have paid if I left before a certain time.

Each company is set up differently

13. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

They did not pay any relocation costs whatsoever and the expenses of my lease agreements to break it are just a minimal amount...

As i've grown up and learned and as many of you have said - I will not sacrifice my happiness nor waste time being unhappy...

This was a fruitful experience and now I know I will never leave my happiness. The grass isn't truly greener on the other side, I just should have watered my garden... But, now I will learn and keep moving forward. I will give my 30-day notice on the first for both my apt & job.

14. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Life is far far too short to be doing a job you hate.

Secure your next job, write a nice letter of resignation and move on.
    In a few months, neither you or your boss will care that much either way.

Its a job. And I am pretty sure you are replaceable (most of us are), give the required notice and put it down as a learning experience. Good luck!

15. TedM macrumors 6502

I'd find a new job first :/ Good luck my friend its tough out there.