Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
Where are you doing this email configuration/forwarding? Regardless of your poor in-store experience, it's not clear this is an Apple problem. How would switching to Windows help you configure your email?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Where are you doing this email configuration/forwarding? Regardless of your poor in-store experience, it's not clear this is an Apple problem. How would switching to Windows help you configure your email?
The Microsoft store will configure it for him :)

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008

This is what I was trying to get at earlier but didn't get much in the way of a response.

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
Trouble is with the heinous bar is they treat you like a dummy by default, cause if you knew anything you wouldn’t be there. Respect is down on their priority’s it seems.

Saying that not all are like that but when you experience it you sure do know it as they kick into robot mode and come across all cold and off.

To be fair, if you spent any time there you will find that the VAST majority of the folks there have come in for trivial issues that could be solved with a small bit of troubleshooting. I know that I get quickly frustrated when asked about things that I think are obvious, but those issues are the ones they deal with all day.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I just switch from Windows (since 3.0) to Mac and there is no way I’m going back
At least you are basing your opinion due to experience with a recent version of Windows. ;)

(Windows 3.0 was released 29 years ago as an add-on package for MS-DOS 3.1. I'm not surprised that you think that Mojave is better than 29 year old systems.)

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
To be fair, if you spent any time there you will find that the VAST majority of the folks there have come in for trivial issues that could be solved with a small bit of troubleshooting. I know that I get quickly frustrated when asked about things that I think are obvious, but those issues are the ones they deal with all day.

Genius: Have you tried switching in off and on again?

Customer : no would that help?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Just because the issue is common or trivial doesn't mean the user knows how to solve it. People only see things from their perspective and not the perspective of others. Just because you have knowledge and skills in troubleshooting doesn't mean the lady walking into the Apple Store does. Everyone has different skills and just because they don't have a specific skill doesn't mean they're dumb.

Reactions: nouveau_redneck

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
At least you are basing your opinion due to experience with a recent version of Windows. ;)

(Windows 3.0 was released 29 years ago as an add-on package for MS-DOS 3.1. I'm not surprised that you think that Mojave is better than 29 year old systems.)
I’ve been on Windows since 3.0. I’m on 7 now and not willing to upgrade to 10 due to forced upgrades.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
-the MS Surface Studio 2 is a pretty nice machine, MS is guaranteeing schooling and support for 3 years, yummie!

Be careful counting on that. I brought a few in-warranty Surface Pro's to their bar, and they seemed fairly disinterested in fixing them. For a few of them that had burn-in, their solution was "it will happen to the replacement model too, so it's not really worth swapping it". Remember, the people who do your repairs are all people at the end of the day, and you won't get vastly better service at a Microsoft store guaranteed.

Reactions: throAU

Abraxa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2018
Basel, Switzerland
To compile all your questions and advice: no, i do not expect Windows to solve any of my problems, no, i'm not absolutely clueless on macOS, but the step back from connecting these mail-accounts lacks of description on the Apple support page, neither i can count on AC assistance.
And of course the switchback on Windows would be drastic but having experienced other erratic behavior in macOS which have not been solved by AC, i start to count the money paid on stuff that becomes more and more ordinary ripp off IT gear.
Yes, Macs are good computers but meanwhile i'm in a pretty doubt.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Be careful counting on that. I brought a few in-warranty Surface Pro's to their bar, and they seemed fairly disinterested in fixing them. For a few of them that had burn-in, their solution was "it will happen to the replacement model too, so it's not really worth swapping it". Remember, the people who do your repairs are all people at the end of the day, and you won't get vastly better service at a Microsoft store guaranteed.

I have had the same experience. Microsoft support from both a bug-fix and hardware repair perspective is as i said above "trash tier".

If you're looking to go back to windows and like the surface hardware, i'd be looking at the equivalents from HP or others.

No, i don't think they have anything the same as the studio unfortunately, but their support of the various Surface Pros we have had various issues with (failure rate of greater than say 30% on about 50 of them) has been garbage.

Reactions: DaveOP

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I have had the same experience. Microsoft support from both a bug-fix and hardware repair perspective is as i said above "trash tier".

If you're looking to go back to windows and like the surface hardware, i'd be looking at the equivalents from HP or others.

No, i don't think they have anything the same as the studio unfortunately, but their support of the various Surface Pros we have had various issues with (failure rate of greater than say 30% on about 50 of them) has been garbage.
Completely agreed. We get FAR better support and service on our Lenovo products than we do on anything from Microsoft. Lenovo doesn't have nearly as many firmware issues either.

Reactions: throAU

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Completely agreed. We get FAR better support and service on our Lenovo products than we do on anything from Microsoft. Lenovo doesn't have nearly as many firmware issues either.

Agreed.

We're a HP shop at the moment but i had a good run with a Lenovo Thinkpad equivalent (forget model) a few years ago. MUCH better machine than the surface pro. Ditto for the HPs we are getting at the moment - you can even upgrade RAM on them. Can't remember if the storage is m.2 or not (i don't "do" hardware repair these days, i'm a network guy and don't have one myself but work with others who do in the same office) but it would not surprise me.

Microsoft firmware bugs in the surface, the dock, etc. are laughable. Ditto for their "support" regarding the intel GPU crashes on my SP4. There was a 64 page thread on the microsoft forums about it that was ongoing for 6 months plus... Machine would randomly just crash due to driver issue. No driver fix. 6 months plus. Machine would crash several times a day....not a hardware issue. They all did it.

Certain software triggered it (pretty reliably), but if you used that software for your job... tough luck.

Don't even get me started on the surface pro 3 experience with the dock. Firmware update required to make PXE work (which meant going through windows first run setup, booting the machine into windows update as that was the only way to get the firmware) - and even after the firmware update the dock would randomly stop charging the machine.

Leave machine docked on charge all weekend and running so it can do updates etc. Get into the office monday - 5% charge remaining because the dock firmware had crashed/crapped out and needed to be unplugged from AC and plugged in again. Great for the monday morning meeting!

Never mind the battery drain bugs, the battery swelling, etc.

I'm sure some people buy a surface for themselves and have a good experience. But as a guy who's working at a company where we ran over 50 of the things... we've banned purchase of them due to the issues.

If you want a tablet you get an iPad or a HP surface-equivalent because they're an order of magnitude more reliable.

Last edited:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
The Apple store experience is a bit different in Europe than it is in the states. In both regions I've yet to have Apple actually keep the appointment time, but the "geniuses" in Europe tend to be less smarmy than they are here. The flip side is you can generally get walk in work done in the US vs walk in and get an appointment over there.

I don't love the Apple store but sometimes you have to go

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Trouble is with the heinous bar is they treat you like a dummy by default, cause if you knew anything you wouldn’t be there. Respect is down on their priority’s it seems.

Not really a issue with dummy Genius Bars, if they actually knew what they were talking about 'jargon-style', no one would understand a word. On the plus side, they'd get allot more appointments..

Abraxa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2018
Basel, Switzerland
The Apple store experience is a bit different in Europe ...

I don't love the Apple store but sometimes you have to go
I guess the stores also different in itself, one can meet very cool staff, other some have to show (and feel permitted by success) what @$$ë$ they are ... well, now that i have to replace my MBP i'm a bit in a trouble for not being covered on blowing batteries, i had the 2011 for 8 years and now this. Makes me think on HackIntosh ... in fact all of the  gear *_*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.