Quitting Apps & Reboot?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iBighouse, Jun 21, 2015.

1. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

i don't see a way to quit an app other than dismissing it by clicking on the digital crown. Is watchOS very different from iOS as to apps running in the background and taking up memory? Once I use the DC for stopping an app is it no longer running on my watch and phone?

I also don't see a way to shut down the watch. So, thinking like how the iPhone works, I held down the DC and side button for a few seconds and it did seem to do a forced reboot, complete with apple logo. But, is there no way to do the same double click and then swipe upwards to dismiss/quit apps like one can do on am iOS device?

2. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

As far as I know, most of the apps don't run in the background when you dismiss them. The only ones I know that run in the background are for fitness tracking, navigation and possible music.

3. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

I was wondering that too and it doesn't look like there is.

To shut it down, hold down on the side button until you get a "power off" option and slide that.

4. iBighouse thread starter macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

Oh thank you! How did I miss that???

5. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

You can also force quit apps by holding the side button down until the power off screen appears.
    Then hold the side button down again and it will force quit the app.

6. iBighouse thread starter macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

Excellent, thank you!

7. gottafly macrumors regular

along these lines...I'm wondering what is the easier way to get back to the "home" screen, ie. watch face...without multiple digital crown pushes. I find that part kind of obnoxious.

There has got to be an easier way?

8. TrueBlou, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015

TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Well you can double press the crown to switch between your two last used apps. So if the watch face was the app you used prior to whatever your doing, two presses gets you back to the watch.

Or what I often find myself doing is one press of the crown to go to the apps screen, then another press to centre on the watch app icon followed by scrolling the crown so you zoom into the watch face.

Or there's always just leaving whatever your doing as is. After 30 seconds of inactivity the watch face will come on automatically. So when you next look at the watch, it's on the watch face.