Quitting Finder?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Apple all life, May 26, 2009.

1. Apple all life macrumors 6502

I usually use the terminal command to quit my finder. Lately my computer has been freezing. Could it be due to this, I also have air mouse server and some other third party apps.

2. MedHead macrumors regular

Why are you quitting finder, out of interest?

For the freezing try the usual precautions; resetting PRAM and repairing permissions.

3. marchellobb macrumors member

Why would you quit the finder? Mine's always on

4. Apple all life thread starter macrumors 6502

Why should I have it on? I always have itunes, mail, safari, ichat, and microsoft word open and its just another app I have to scroll through. Right now my computer is fine, I reinstalled the operating system and it is ok. Right now I am seeing if quitting it is the problem so I quit it and I want to see if it will freeze again. My question is, is this the problem? (Quitting the finder) Or is the problem of all these servers air mouse server, airphones server?

5. MedHead macrumors regular

Well Id say it might have something to do with it, if apple dont provide an easy way to quit it (without using terminal) then theres a reason for it. I stand open to correction here but is it not the equivilant of windows explorer, which if its malfunctioning causes the OS to play up a bit?

EDIT: like even with several windows open finder doesnt exactly hog system resources. Also if you're connected to a network server it wont work without finder.

6. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

finder takes up virtually no CPU cycles and almost no RAM. also thanks to the post I remembered the :apple:+tab trick to cycle through apps! hooray, more laziness!