Quitting Open Applications. Good Idea?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Pndrgnsvc, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

When connected via WiFi or Computer...

Are there any practical advantages (or disadvantages) in iOS to quitting open applications, such as freeing memory, extending battery life, and such?

Or, is having them running (or not) just too trivial to worry about?

2. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Steve once said, "In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it."

While this is true for the most part, occasionally you need to actively quit an application when it goes rogue, ie freezes up or you need to reset its state. Some apps will use more battery if left running (GPS location for example) and I'll usually quit those when I'm done with them. Also if an app has a memory leak it will drain battery (I think this happened with Facebook at some point). As far as freeing memory in general, iOS manages memory in such a way that it will quit apps for you if it needs more memory for something else.

3. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

IOS's memory management works to a point but I can say with certainty that currently there is a problem with some apps not releasing memory. Hopefully 7.1 will fix the problem. My current solution is to force close apps after I get several open.

4. Pndrgnsvc thread starter macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

Many thanks, all, for the enlightening info.

While I have yet to notice any differences when home, I will now be more attentive to what apps are active in the background, especially when using my phone out in the environs.