Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Today, I'm initiating a self imposed exile to social media. Some of this may be temporary, other portions will not.

I think the meanness of some of the stuff I see (without getting overly PRSI) has just turned me off. I also think most of the stuff I see is useless, like those quizzes to see what type of villian, superhero, cartoon character you are.

I waste enough of my time here at MR :eek: I don't need to have my nose in my phone on facebook.

With that said, have others been tempted to leave social media and/or quit?

I'm sure there can be some good coming out of social media but as it stand I'm not seeing too much

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Today, I'm initiating a self imposed exile to social media. Some of this may be temporary, other portions will not.

I think the meanness of some of the stuff I see (without getting overly PRSI) has just termed me off. I also think most of the stuff I see is useless, like those quizzes to see what type of villian, superhero, cartoon character you are.

I waste enough of my time here at MR :eek: I don't need to have my nose in my phone on facebook.

I'm sure there can be some good coming out of social media but as it stand I'm not seeing too much
Yep, I use macrumours for updated Apple info and twitter for vaping news and f1 news. Other than that not into social media.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Have a great sabbatical and may you be rejuvenated.
That's what I'm hoping and maybe after the election things may be a bit better.

I was looking to use twitter a bit more, but, its just not grabbing me the way I thought it would, so that one is easy to quit.

I'll either deactivate my FB account or just "go dark" and not post anymore.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I check Facebook quite a few times per day but not really sure why. Most of it is filled with stuff from people I don't know - friends of friends. With everything going on I've been tempted to give it up but I'm not sure I really can. My wife deleted the app from her phone and only checks it on her iPad once in the evening. Something like that might work. The only practical use I have for it is sharing pictures of my kids.

One thing Twitter has that I REALLY wish Facebook had is the ability to not see a post based on keywords. Will never happen though. :(

Other than that I check Instragram about once a day and Tumblr about once a week. Nothing that gets my blood boiling on either of those though.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Best of luck!

I use Facebook quite often but never to update my status. Like, ever. I'll maybe consider updating it if I get a new job. Probably not even then. I only just changed my profile picture 2 months ago after 4 years of having the same one.

Any time I see a stupid update or some stupid photo of some stupid food by some stupid long-lost acquaintance from school, I'll just unfollow them. Knowing I'll never have to see that spew in my feed again is a great feeling.

So really my Facebook feed is whittled down to things I actually care about; namely, Star Wars, Formula 1, and metal music. As such it doesn't bother me that much when I check it, because I'm quite aggressive at pruning out things I don't care about.

Now that I say it out loud, I guess I'm using Facebook wrong. :D

Reactions: pat500000

dgr874

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2012
Texas
I 99% quit all social media about 5 months ago. I was pretty stressed for about a week not knowing what was going on everyday. Then one morning I woke up and didn't miss it at all. Now I log in about once a week to see how the family is doing and then just log off. Maybe a total of 5 mins. I don't read breaking headlines, trends going on now, or recommended stories at all. Just family stuff.

Go full speed ahead with quitting, I don't think you will regret it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I think the meanness of some of the stuff I see (without getting overly PRSI) has just turned me off. I also think most of the stuff I see is useless, like those quizzes to see what type of villian, superhero, cartoon character you are.

Sorry to hear that.

Given that you have work, family, karate, church, and mod duties, you probably have more than enough already on your plate to occupy your time.

However, the quizzes that you refer to, are more a symptom of your (mine, too) age; I think that this is the sort of thing that might interest a younger demographic; it certainly - for the most part - holds little interest for me, but I don't think it is aimed at this of us who are no longer in the first flush of youth.

Re the meanness, I think that has come about from a number of different sources: First, there is a decline in the old habits of deference, and the manners - enforced and otherwise that went with them.

Secondly, the internet has allowed for a 'flatter' and two-way form of communication, which older forms of media (say, newspapers, and TV) - radio was always a little more connected to its audience, and many programmes would not have survived without ample feedback or phone-ins from audiences - didn't really encourage or allow.

Thirdly, an etiquette - or what is considered courteous - when engaging in the online world has yet to evolve. The form of communication and interaction is simply too new for acceptable - or unacceptable - forms of behaviour to have had time to evolve, become considered accepted, and be embedded in the system.

Fourthly, there is the confusion of the private space and the space public, the erosion of the private space (a great loss to my mind) and the blurring of boundaries. Many youngsters don't see this blurring of the boundaries as something to be deplored, and fail to see that the internet - which because you can access it in your study or your bedroom - is not necessarily a private space where you can behave with the same lack of inhibition as you might display in your personal private space. believing you are in a private space, though, does seem to serve to lower or remove inhibitions, or curbs on behaviour.

Things might change though.

Good luck.
[doublepost=1469635341][/doublepost]Apart from Twitter - which I use to keep abreast of political stuff - and LinkedIn, which I use purely for professional reasons, this is the only online forum I am a member of. For now, I enjoy it, though the dark tone in some places is a cause for concern.

I don't have a FB account and never plan to have one.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Don't really have any social media accounts other than twitter. I don't have any followers, have only sent out a handful of tweets.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I have a facebook account that I check about 3-4 times a day. Having "cut the cord" at home sadly I get quite a bit of my daily news from things shared by my friends' feeds. I have thought about dumping it, though.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Social media in my opinion is way to tamper into others lives and filter through all the Worldly things, which can become obsessive. I have no social media accounts what so ever, with the exception of Mac Rumors being how much of an Apple supporter I am. And I am also a very private person and choose to ignore the superficial world of social media. I'm not saying everyone is superficial and social media can be a great asset if used accordingly. Some abuse it's purpose and twist it beyond its intent.

Being your a moderator and you frequent this site excessively every day, I don't see how you would have the time between your personal and work life. I understand your not remunerated for your services and are strictly a volunteer for Macrumors, which alone is a chore in some respects.

Now, I feel Social media just consumes most people's lives and they intertwine themselves into a world in which shows only what people want them to know.

In the end, Social media is full of gossip, lies and mistrust. Like I stated before, it's a tool on which can be used for legitimate purposes and others use it to reflect negatively in inappropriate measures.

Reactions: LizKat

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I've severely pulled back on social networking. I use Twitter and Tumblr for my art and keeping in contact with IRL friends from around the world.

I've had to restrict my time in PSRI tho, because it just because an ugly place and made me far too anxious.

Reactions: Goatllama

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016

Facebook's sweet spot was back in 2007/2008 where it was actually about social and media. It's slowly but surely turning into a marketing breeding ground along with troll masters and bias community pages. I left Facebook back in 2010, it was a great move. It was difficult for some around me to understand though initially. But years on, living proof that you can still enjoy your friends and family without the marketing messages and overt commercial aspects of "news" feeds. There's also more time for learning new things. From a design stand point, that Facebook site is one ugly piece of work, and that blue color they use is absolutely horrid. That was a good thing to avoid as well.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
That's what I'm hoping and maybe after the election things may be a bit better.

I was looking to use twitter a bit more, but, its just not grabbing me the way I thought it would, so that one is easy to quit.

I'll either deactivate my FB account or just "go dark" and not post anymore.
I only use MR.
I've never been on Twitter, Facebook, snapchat or Instagram.
Don't think they are for me really. Sometimes when you talk to people and you tell them your not on FB, it's a bit like you just said your from Mars or you don't have electricity.

Enjoy the break. As others have said you have more than enough on your plate at the moment.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
well i never used it too much anyway... just facebook once every 2-3 days to see what ppl are up to :-D

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
I think it's all about optimization. Most platforms allow you a good degree of control over what you see. My accounts show me what I'm interested in and who I care about. It's rare that I see something that I do not want.

That said, they are / can be huge time sinks, so I think it's a good idea to cut back where you can. I've had a rule in my mind that "do not check social media unless you have something to contribute," though I've failed to uphold that rule so far. :p

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Aside from here and one or two other forums, I've never joined social media. I have never been on Facebook, Twitter or Google, let alone opened an account.

I do watch YouTube videos, though I don't have an account. I like reading the comments. They are a wonderful mix of the sacred and profane.

Reactions: pat500000

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Social media is terrible. Spend time with your friends and family in real life and only interact with them in meaningful ways. If you don't see a "friend" for 2-3 years they aren't your friend.

My stance really. Why I never got into social media for a start. I need to speak with you, I prefer more personable ways really. Or in the case of video shoots I do for my wife/son's dance school shows...I have my wife active on im/chat clients in the mommy circles there (she's the social butterfly, I am on the in the corner quiet type lol). Video's of a show out on youtube, send my wife the link, she sends it out to the mommy/school chat clicks there. Want to make comments, do it there. Not doing the usual youtuber having several social links. Lucky I have time to edit vids and such, let alone track that stuff.

That and its just too powerful for my security concerns. When on tech side in my IT shop I had to create social media accounts. For when a cafe said something on say Facebook wasn't working with our network. Account made. About the only thing true in the profile created was sex...male. And in comes the do you know this person, this person, etc. And the answer was yes way too much. Scared me to be honest the algorithms did this. Burned through false data to find legit hits.

That and with limited time, man..., just don't have the time to read the stuff. And to censor and lock down. I am not the man I was years ago. Mistakes made, life lessons learned, life went on. Just don't need those idiots who never grew up bringing up old stuff on the page really. In this case former associations were lost on purpose, why the hell would I give a way for them to be found again.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Social media is terrible. Spend time with your friends and family in real life and only interact with them in meaningful ways. If you don't see a "friend" for 2-3 years they aren't your friend.
...mentioned on an online forum full of anonymous strangers.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I prefer to spend most of my communicating time in actual forums rather than FB, Twitter, etc...... On my FB account I post very little about myself, and ditto for the Twitter account and Instagram...... I'm only signed up to the latter two because of a particular musical artist whose career I follow. As far as anything really personal going on in my life, I much prefer to discuss that in person or on the phone with real-life, trusted friends. Hey, if I'm not interested in what I had for breakfast or lunch or dinner, why should anyone else be, even if they went to high school or college with me? So I sure as heck am not going to post that kind of thing. If I am interested in maybe buying a new Apple device or computer, I'm not going to discuss that on Facebook, I'm going to come right here and read and assess for myself the news, the rumors, the realities...... Fortunately for me, musical artists in which I'm interested also have forums discussing them and their work, too, so I can keep up there with adding my thoughts on a new song or new album. It all works out in the end.....

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Don't really have any social media accounts other than twitter. I don't have any followers, have only sent out a handful of tweets.
how do you feel twitter is for you? i had a twitter but i got rid of it 2 years ago and i haven't missed it a bit. I have facebook just to keep tabs on my high school friends who i didn't talk to on a daily basis

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I restrict my personal facebook. I have simple rules.

1. If I don't know you personally, someone that i would communicate with socially - then you are not becoming my Facebook friend.

2. If you bombard my feed with asinine quotes or the facebook 'pass it on' spam message style posts - you are removed.

3. I am careful what I post, and mainly use it to share a landscape photo or such. I rarely post 'thoughts' and never post 'check-in' style nonsense.

4. I like only posts that are sharing something interesting or insightful. Sadly your daily bowel movement check-in wont score a thumbs up from me.

5. No more than 10-15 minutes a day on FB / instagram & twitter combined.

6. Turn off notifications on your devices, so i use social media on my terms, not because its continually vying for my attention.

Doing this, i keep up-to date with my real world friends and their real family life so when we are talking in person we each have points of reference (saw the photo or such) and can then express a deeper interest/involvement in the topic. It means i am not cutting myself off from SM, but im not being groomed by it either.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.