Quote a quote!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by iStudentUK, Feb 15, 2011.

1. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'll try and make this logical-

Is there a quick way to include what the person I am quoting quoted when I quote them?

In other words, if somebody quotes me and I want to reply, when I press quote it only includes what they wrote, not what I originally wrote as well. On busy threads it can would be useful to be able to quote everything.

Thanks, hope that made sense!

2. GGJstudios, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only way I know how to do it is to copy the quote and paste it manually within the quoted post. If the quote came from another post, as in your example, you can use the multi-quote button ([​IMG]) to get both quotes in your reply, then cut and paste the original post into the post that quoted it.

3. iStudentUK thread starter macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Thanks, that is the method I have been using. It just seems a bit inelegant!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I tend to agree. It is a bit of a pain.

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

A faster way is to use multiquote, then erase the first /quote, and paste (or retype it) after the second /quote.

Ta-dah!

Or cutting and pasting the second quote= to the start of the reply ...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As you can see, that doesn't work well, as it makes it look like the wrong person did the quoting.
    Which is what I said:

7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Not quite. You said c&p the whole quote. I said only need to c&p the quote= part (the bit with square brackets and the poster's name inside). Each to their own. Maybe I shouldn't have said 'much faster', but it works for me.

8. GGJstudios, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding, if I click the multi-quote buttons on post #2 and #3 and click "Post Reply", then use your method to "erase the first /quote, and paste (or retype it) after the second /quote", I get this, which isn't accurate, since it makes it look like I quoted iStudentUK:
    If I use my method, I get this, which is accurate, showing that iStudentUK quoted me: