quote/reply alert?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by gillboyswims96, Aug 15, 2009.

1. gillboyswims96 macrumors regular

rather than having to find all the same threads again, wouldnt it be nice to have something that tells you that someone replied/quoted your text?

i think that this would be really handy...

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

This has been brought up before a few times. It's on their list of potential enhancements, but they don't develop vBulletin so there's a limit as to what they can implement. Also, as the site has grown and the user base has grown, features like this would slow its performance. Just think how often someone is quoted. That's thousands of alerts a day.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Finally an idea that is halfway decent. But until you see it, start subscribing to threads.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

6. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I agree this would be a good feature, but how about this for the time being:

It's worked fine for me since I joined MR. :)

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That method does not tell you when someone quotes your post 3 pages after you made it, and some of us are in too many threads to read every single post. A system that lets us know that we've been quoted would allow you to respond to someone whom has decided to respond to something you've said.

8. gillboyswims96 thread starter macrumors regular

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

In what types of situations would you want to know when your post was quoted but not care to know when other people posted, i.e., when you'd need a new vBulletin feature instead of using a thread subscription?

I'm curious whether these are situations where you would read the intervening posts, or if in these cases you would want to read only posts that quote you.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

News threads. They move too fast to read every post, and not every post is meaningful.

You make a post on page 1 ... there are 4 pages of fluff/"Safari is snappier"/"fake"/generic comments ... then on page 6, someone quotes you with a specific question/comment.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Since we don't have the requested feature, I can make three suggestions for that situation:

1. If you have a very specific question that is likely to get lost in a news discussion, you might find it more useful to post it in a separate thread or ask it later when things have quieted down.

2. Using the Display Modes drop-down, switch to Hybrid or Threaded Mode to see the connections between posts and replies. I don't it find it to be especially easy to use, but perhaps it would help when you are peeking at a thread looking for the "subdiscussions".

3. Report those useless posts and help us get rid of them!