quote "your warranty will be void"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sbb155, Aug 3, 2007.

1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

Went to purchase a mac pro at the apple store. They didnt have one with BT/Airport installed. I asked if I could install myself (note, mac pro NOT a laptop)... and they said I would void my warranty.
    Same goes for drives and ram.
    Oh well...

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

BT and Airport are not user installable. Hard drives and RAM are. Better off ordering online anyway so you can configure it as you want it. Look elsewhere for RAM.

3. wako macrumors 65816

did you talk to a floor sale rep? Because they are half retarded and I swear none of them have any sort of training in any of the Apple's policy. When I was buying my first mac, two guys told me I can replace and upgrade the HDD myself without voiding the warranty in a 12'' PowerBook, and that ALL of their systems had the 7200RPM drives (including their laptops)... this was about the time when the first 2.5'' 7200RPM drives first came out...

ironically now when I go back to the store, I see one of them that mislead me has been promoted to a higher position... not a store manager, but some type of manager none the less...

4. TheJayWay macrumors member

That seems to be the way things go these days. I've had so many co-workers at different jobs that are damn near retarded but get promoted so that they can be in a position where they can cause less damage.

5. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

I asked these questions when I bought my Mac Pro. The salesperson said buy it online and walked me over to a Mac on the floor and stood there as I ordered from apple.com, answering my questions. I guess like any store it just depends on who you get.

6. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

It's too bad they're just fired. :(

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Hmm....I'm not familiar with the insides of the MacPro but is it that involved to install an Airport card to merit Apple making it something only an Apple certified technician can install?

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

A better question is why isn't it standard? For such a high end machine, such a thing shouldn't be something one must consider "optional."

9. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I can only speak for myself but if I had a MacPro I wouldn't have a need for an airport card and since it's not a notebook, it's not something I'm going to be toting around the house while perusing the web. I am still not entirely sold on creating a wi-fi network in my home over just plugging directly into a router or cable modem due to the speeds and potential for dropped signals. The bluetooth I would imagine should be a standard although again not everyone uses bluetooth devices with their desktops.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Installing an Airport card in a Mac Pro is a pain in the butt. There's a reason they say you need an Apple Tech to do it. I am one, and still almost popped mine. Bought a USB BT dongle for $10 and installed an 802.11n mini card pulled from a parted out MacBook Pro that's warranty has been voided (don't ask, they did a doozy on it and we were lucky to part it out). Surprised it worked, but it does. Even in Leopard. The regular cards are way too expensive and too hard to come by on your own. And not cheap to get an Apple Rep to install, if you even can get one to.

Apple probably assumes if you've got a Mac Pro, you don't need wireless. And some places prohibit it. But you'd think they'd at least make it easy to upgrade later if you buy stock and later need Airport.

11. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I didn't know you couldn't install wireless card in a Mac Pro without voiding the warranty. When I bought mine at an Apple store I asked for a wireless card and they said they would install it there for free if I waited an hour. Good service.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Exactly, they did it. When the company does it, it is within their legal responsibility, so they have to take care of any problems that they cause. If you mess up the installation, then it's your fault, and they don't need to cover it under the warranty.