Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Hello,

I have a new macbook pro which had some trackpad trouble, with the button not registering clicks. It began the beginning of this week, and I refrained from calling immediately as I needed it and an external mouse fixed the problem. Yesterday something his the case on the right next to the trackpad causing a large dent and crushing the entrance to the optical drive. The machine still functions, though doesn't look pretty and has left the optical drive unuseable and the trackpad in worse shape than initially. I called Apple today for a repair estimate and was quoted a Tier 2 at $630.80- though as told it will most likely change once I send it in and the access the damage. The laptop is my homework machine, and though I could use a different computer I depend on it quite a bit. $630 seems like quite a bit to replace some casing- and perhaps the optical drive and am assuming the price will go down once I ship it in and they look at it. I am wondering if anyone can give me a better estimated repair cost.

Thanks a lot.

ben.mcmahan

macrumors member
May 6, 2008
w/o knowing how bad it is or what you'd need to replace...
you might look at ifixit.com to see what the parts themselves cost, and to see if this is something you might do yourself.

bummer.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Thanks for your reply,

Has anyone on here ever had the case replaced, as well as (perhaps the optical drive).

When I press the eject button the optical drive seems in working order, the opening is just crushed. Is there a way for me to determine whether or not it still works, or whether is is damaged?

chrisbeebops

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Since the case has to be replaced anyway, you could try gently unbending the case near the opening enough to put a disk in the drive and then eject it.

syclonefx

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Daytona Beach Fl
Yeah apple is a little expensive. I got a quote from apple to replace a fan in my Macbook Pro. They quoted me $510 plus $125 labor. The fan @ iFixit.com is only $50.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.