Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Qwerty hardware remote for Apple TV

ozaz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Can anyone suggest a qwerty hardware remote control that works well with Apple TV, setup using this method - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3296 - or some other method.

I am not interested in software (iOS) remotes.

Thanks

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Can anyone suggest a qwerty hardware remote control that works well with Apple TV, setup using this method - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3296 - or some other method.

I am not interested in software (iOS) remotes.

Thanks

It depends on your TV...Like the article says...If you have a TV that supports a KB as an accessory, then the steps in the link are good. Few TV's do though...Last time I was shopping for TV's, the Sony, Philips, and the High end LG's have an optional KB, connected via a dedicated USB port on the TV, or using the wifi dongles that are also an option.

My Sony has the option, but I'm not paying £100.00 :eek:

The neatest was the Philips ( not sure if these are available in the states) which just has a QWERTY KB on the flipside of the remote that comes with the TV.

I've tried Apple KB's with both my Sony and my LG...No go...You have to buy the dedicated brand.

Comment

ozaz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Sorry, I don't really understand the answer. Why does it matter what the TV supports? I'm just after a remote with keyboard that only needs to work with the Apple TV, not a remote that can support multiple devices.

Comment

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Sorry, I don't really understand the answer. Why does it matter what the TV supports? I'm just after a remote with keyboard that only needs to work with the Apple TV, not a remote that can support multiple devices.

I'm not aware of any KB that will work with the ATV...Had a quick Google, but nothing there...just the little remote that comes with the ATV, which leads you to the onscreen KB...Others may know of a KB that will work, but offhand, I don't think there is one.

Comment

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Because the ATV supports bluetooth keyboards. You pair them using the Bluetooth settings in the ATV settings menu.

Comment

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Because the ATV supports bluetooth keyboards. You pair them using the Bluetooth settings in the ATV settings menu.

Really? I must try that out....so the OP just needs an Apple BT KB and he's good to go? I'm going to try this out....Don't really need a KB for my ATV's but would be interested to see how laggy it is.

Comment

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Really? I must try that out....so the OP just needs an Apple BT KB and he's good to go? I'm going to try this out....Don't really need a KB for my ATV's but would be interested to see how laggy it is.

Most keyboards work

Comment

ozaz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Really? I must try that out....so the OP just needs an Apple BT KB and he's good to go?

Yes, BT keyboard will do me fine (didn't realize these were supported until after posting my question). Although I posed the question as an integrated remote with keyboard, I'm happy to have a separate keyboard and remote as long as the keyboard is pocket sized so it doesn't create much clutter.

Unfortunaltey don't have a BT keyboard lying around, so have ordered this pocket one to try
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Keyboard-iPhone-Symbian-smartphone/dp/B004401ZME

Comment

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

I experimented with a Bluetooth keyboard that I bought to use with an iPad, and the keyboard works just fine with ATV3. It's a huge improvement over the messy "keypad" that the ATV has by default.

Comment

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Bluetooth keyboard support is relatively new to the ATV.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.