Qwerty hardware remote for Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ozaz, May 19, 2013.

1. ozaz macrumors 65816

Can anyone suggest a qwerty hardware remote control that works well with Apple TV, setup using this method - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3296 - or some other method.

I am not interested in software (iOS) remotes.

Thanks

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It depends on your TV...Like the article says...If you have a TV that supports a KB as an accessory, then the steps in the link are good. Few TV's do though...Last time I was shopping for TV's, the Sony, Philips, and the High end LG's have an optional KB, connected via a dedicated USB port on the TV, or using the wifi dongles that are also an option.

My Sony has the option, but I'm not paying £100.00 :eek:

The neatest was the Philips ( not sure if these are available in the states) which just has a QWERTY KB on the flipside of the remote that comes with the TV.

I've tried Apple KB's with both my Sony and my LG...No go...You have to buy the dedicated brand.

3. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry, I don't really understand the answer. Why does it matter what the TV supports? I'm just after a remote with keyboard that only needs to work with the Apple TV, not a remote that can support multiple devices.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm not aware of any KB that will work with the ATV...Had a quick Google, but nothing there...just the little remote that comes with the ATV, which leads you to the onscreen KB...Others may know of a KB that will work, but offhand, I don't think there is one.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

6. institute macrumors regular

Because the ATV supports bluetooth keyboards. You pair them using the Bluetooth settings in the ATV settings menu.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Really? I must try that out....so the OP just needs an Apple BT KB and he's good to go? I'm going to try this out....Don't really need a KB for my ATV's but would be interested to see how laggy it is.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Most keyboards work

9. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, BT keyboard will do me fine (didn't realize these were supported until after posting my question). Although I posed the question as an integrated remote with keyboard, I'm happy to have a separate keyboard and remote as long as the keyboard is pocket sized so it doesn't create much clutter.

Unfortunaltey don't have a BT keyboard lying around, so have ordered this pocket one to try
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Keyboard-iPhone-Symbian-smartphone/dp/B004401ZME

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

I experimented with a Bluetooth keyboard that I bought to use with an iPad, and the keyboard works just fine with ATV3. It's a huge improvement over the messy "keypad" that the ATV has by default.

11. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Bluetooth keyboard support is relatively new to the ATV.