R* about to be in deep **** again?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Nov 1, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...he-over-unlocked-ao-content-in-manhunt-2.html

there are lots of stories on it but I was reading the ARS one at the time.

So those idiots just glued some mickey mouse solution on the game. You figure they would have learned from the Hot Coffee "scandal" to be a little more careful.

I think it is stupid that they had to change the game in the first place, and even stupid-er that they will get blamed for hackers messing with their game but still, come on you idiots! You KNOW people are gonna mess with your stuff!

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I rather like the game but the blurred *bleep* is stupid....i can barely see whats going on..hate it.

I got it for the PSP and its cool...the story is better than MH1.

Bless

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Forget that...ERSB approved it!

R* shouldn't get in trouble

But they still will!

4. Oneness macrumors regular

No, R* should get in trouble. It sounds like the ERSB was very clear on the subject of hidden content after the Hot Coffee fiasco and the fact that R* was involved in that case should only escalate the fine.

5. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Ya but this is *just* violence soo maybe it isn't as bad... well... maybe

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Should be interesting to see how this pans out. Silly Rockstar, learn your lesson!

7. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Aren't they just doing all the things they do to get people talking about their games and create controversy?

Controversy sells.

8. pcypert macrumors 6502

I think it's intentional on R* part. I applaud them despite the game and everything...they know how to get attention, market, etc. Maybe they do it in odd ways or ways I personally wouldn't...but they have success from it for now at least. They're games better keep being strong though because the second they drop in quality or if GTA IV sucks it'll come back and bite them so hard...

Paul

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

R* never learns.

I truly dislike them. They purposely make things overly violent/sexual just for the purpose of stirring up controversy, and gamers get the bad rap for it (and get worked up into ending up defending Rockstar from people like Jack Thompson).

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A shame to think these guys created Lemmings too.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

and sales...

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly. That's why I have no sympathy for them and didn't shed a tear for manhunt 2's bannings.

13. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

See, the way I look at it... If someone can't just stumble across it (You have to hack the game, FFS) then I don't see the problem. The pr0n channels on Sky have a PIN code, any child could know that pin code and end up watching pr0n. A lot more easily than they could hack the game, anyway.

However... Rockstar should have learned their lesson, which is of course the main point, so no sympathy from me.

Edit:

It would seem the ESRB agree with me.

You may or may not like Rockstar, but I'm glad the ESRB showed a little common sense.

14. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

My fondest wish is for all the coders and "executives" at R* to meet with the same painful, degrading fates that most of their "characters" do in the software they push. Or perhaps have one of their family members violently assaulted by one of those comical insane killers that they idolize.

Stands to reason that if it's "great fun" in the game, that the real thing would be even more enjoyable for them. ;)

If you find this post offensive, my apologies but you see it's not really my fault.

My feelings have been warped and my sensitivity to violence has been degraded by exposure to all the movies and games where violent assaults, rapes, murders etc. are marketed to me as "fun times." :D

15. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I hope you say the same thing about all violent movies, books and music too, otherwise you're full of it.

16. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

who cares? I STILL don't see what the big fuss is about. Rockstar made the game that it made the M ratings, but left the extra content in it (locked away). If you want the extra content, you can hack it. Most people who hack the games are old enough to buy AO games anyway. I still think they should have been able to release it as it was without thew rating change.

17. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Well I am not a hypocrite so I do.

Just so you know though I am not against all violence in movies and games or anything like that. There is a super huge difference (IMO) between the presence of violence and the glorification of violence.

My big problem with the kind of stuff R* makes is that they relish the violence to the point that they are almost worshipping it. They turn retarded insane jerks into heroes and propagate an attitude of acceptance towards their actions. Thousands of teenage boys are playing their games everyday and learning how to be complete A-holes in life; That psycho-killers are cool and hookers deserve to be killed just for existing.

There are no "middle of the road" characters in their games, let alone any actual nice people. Their world is uniformly populated by A-holes, killers, thieves etc. For instance if you could play Grand Theft Auto without stealing cars and killing hookers I might play it, and I wouldn't be concerned. The fact that they engineer the game so that one simply *can't* be a nice guy in it is what is so evil, and it's not even realistic. I'm actually a big fan of realism in games and movies.

The real world contains all kinds of complicated characters, not just jerks.

18. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This is EXACTLY what I think about real life when I play the game :rolleyes:

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well I'll be waiting for you to get on all those other games which have sex, drug,murder and theft in them! Get to it, I want to see some post on MR about it!

The game is called Grand Theft Auto, and you'd like to be able not to steal cars? Thats like me wanting to play Super Mario Brother, but not jump on shells! Or play LoZ games, and not use a sword. Here an idea, don't buy the game(which I don't think you plan to) and stay out of others gaming habits!

No, there are not. There is NO proof that violent game negatively effect sound minded people(same thing TV, movies etc), as for people who were already unstable, then you can't blame games...or TV, or Movies. Not to mention parents need to make sure they are ok with the games their kids are playing

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

To play devils advocate, I agree with Virgil. There were kids at my school who were completely fine, started playing GTA3 and started using the games terminology and talking about re-enacting scenes.

Course not everyone is like that. I was playing Mortal Kombat when I was 10 and it never affected me, infact it probably did the opposite since I've got some fear of meat and insides and such. :D

However if a violent game causes at least one death or accident because of idiots re-enacting or getting inspired (which does happen in all media) then it's going beyond fun and games.

That said I don't mind playing GTA. Sure it's not Shigsy styled genius or as well designed as Valves games. But they're a good distraction, just never on top of the playlist for me.

21. Oneness macrumors regular

[/QUOTE]No, there are not. There is NO proof that violent game negatively effect sound minded people(same thing TV, movies etc), as for people who were already unstable, then you can't blame games...or TV, or Movies. Not to mention parents need to make sure they are ok with the games their kids are playing[/QUOTE]

Two problems I have with this argument. First, once you divide people into two groups - stable and unstable - you have a ready made excuse when someone goes off and imitates a game - 'Well that person was just unstable. It's not the games fault'. Second, if you say that there is no proof that violent influences do not negatively effect children (or adults or that matter) then you have to say that neither do loving influences positively effect children. In that case you would have to say that once children are born they will grow up to be who they will be irregardless of the environment they are in which would negate decades of nature vs nuture studies.
    Now to say its not the game's fault or the game's developers fault, but the fault lies with the parents does have a lot of truth to it, but that argument is akin to 'Guns don't kill people, people do' and 'Cigarette's don't kill people, it's the person decision to smoke that kills them.'
    I think there is a balance somewhere in this whole violent game issue. We just have to keep dialogueing (sp?) and attempt to find it.

22. pcypert macrumors 6502

I'm on the fence. If a game is compelling in itself with good puzzles and gameplay then I don't mind the violence. Some of the later GTA games have had loads of things on offer gameplay wise. If you can't seperate reality from games maybe you shouldn't be gaming. I mean we stomp on loads of mushrooms and turtles...if you're a turtle maybe you don't see it as innocent fun :D . But they're both 1's and 0's you know? So I'm stomping a mushroom here or killing a person here....I'm killing a pimp here and a terrorist in Rainbow 6.

Heck in Rainbow 6 one could actually get turned on to the idea and actually sign up and get paid to do that sort of thing!

Paul

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I agree with Vergil mostly, though his wording of it is poor.

His point about the difference in the glorification of violence is very valid. There's violence for the intents of story; there's violence for the sake of realism; and even for the sake of immersion; and sometimes there's just senseless violence just for the sake of violence.

The whole intent of a Manhunt game is to cause pain for the sake of causing pain. And I really have no respect for a developer like Rockstar that tries to cause controversy by trying to be as graphic, violent, and bloody as possible just because they get free PR off of it.

And while it may not have any lasting mental effects on an adult, anyone who says it won't remain in a child's mind is kidding themselves. I played a lot of Sonic when I was little. I drew my own levels, I imagined myself as Sonic, I even tried to copy the art style of the Sonic comics.

If I played Grand Theft Auto? I would be imagining myself as a serial killer when I was a child.

Desensitization is a very real thing, but the media (and Jack Thompson) have turned it into such a buzzword that people just get all defensive when they hear it. JT would have you believe that picking up a controller automatically turns you into a serial killer.

Let me weigh in here that as little respect as I have for R* because of their capitalizing on glorifying violence, I completely believe that in the argument relating to children, the responsibility lies in the parents. Stores aren't even supposed to sell those games to minors. I have SEEN parents buy M rated games for 10 and 12 year olds. Parents treat video games as things they can buy to keep the kids busy, and do no research and don't even check the rating.

The problem lies with irresponsible parents who take no care to what their kids do. Not with the developers.

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I see some of you guys talk about learning their lesson....what lesson would that be....the lesson of making a overly violent game to stir up things and have it sell very well?

Well If its like that then the lesson is learnt....this is what they want actually. They want the media/everyone to look at them.

Same stunt different day and yet we constantly fall for it....no lesson learnt just money being made.

Bless

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless