Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Just found this out off one of my friends. After 31 years they have decided they have done enough.
The link to the news story is : http://remhq.com/news_story.php?id=1446
So whats your favourite album, song, tour or anything about R.E.M?

My favourite album is accelerate I just love how straight to the point it is and so much different for the one before it which was around the sun.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I always thought that announced "split ups" were a bit silly - most bands do it at some point but barring deaths they usually re-unite at least temporarily.

Obviously REM will play together again someday. "Indefinite hiatus" is a more apt term.

REM: good band.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
There might be those occasions where they play together to help a charity or something usually rock and roll hall of fame but they're already been accepted. Most bands that get back together haven't been plating together as long as R.E.M.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
True. But I'd be shocked if they never played again. I think what this announcement means is that they won't be recording together as REM anymore.

"The Eagles will play together again 'when hell freezes over'."
-Don Henley, 1980.

"For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation." -Glenn Frey, 1994.

They may play together again, or maybe not. Crowded House called it a day in 1996. It wasn't until Paul Hester's death in 2007, that Neil Finn took stock of things, and decided he wanted to play in a band again after 11 years of solo work. So Crowded House started up again.

In short, never say never.

BL.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
R.E.M. will be high school and college to me. Good music, good memories.

/Raises glass.

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
I always thought that announced "split ups" were a bit silly - most bands do it at some point but barring deaths they usually re-unite at least temporarily.

Yeah, well, when was the last time REM made the news? ;)

I mean, "We're splitting up! No more! Never again! Done! Finished forever and evermore!" just gets more press than, "[size=-2]You know, we're out of new ideas and aren't planning on touring or releasing anything anytime soon, so don't hold your breath, thanks.[/size]"

It's not like being in a band means you actually have to show up every morning at 8:00.

charks

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
Sad for me...as they where one of my all-time favorite bands. Breakup was probably overdue...but what an amazing 31 year run. Glad to hear that they did it on their own terms...amicable...no bickering. That said...I don't think Peter Buck's heart has been into it for a good 10 years...and the music suffered.

The run from Chronic Town through Document is one of the greatest rock album runs out there.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Another good 80s-"ish" band calls it a day. I find some parallels between this development and that of another band popular in the 80s and early 90s, New Order. NO recently called it quits in amicable fashion as well, and long after one of the band members left (in New Order's case, keyboardist Gillian Gilbert).

Oh, and in response to obeygiant:
Leonard Bernstein!

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Sad for me...as they where one of my all-time favorite bands. Breakup was probably overdue...but what an amazing 31 year run. Glad to hear that they did it on their own terms...amicable...no bickering. That said...I don't think Peter Buck's heart has been into it for a good 10 years...and the music suffered.

The run from Chronic Town through Document is one of the greatest rock album runs out there.

Murmur is my favorite.

Stipe IMO is a great poet.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
My favorite band. Their recent stuff is not as great as early and mid-career, still every album has some great songs (e.g. Sad Professor)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The reportedly poor sales of the 'collapse into now' album no doubt contributed to this....

Automatic for the People, Out of Time & New Adventures in Hi-Fi are my favorites, with UP & Reveal shortly behind.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
No Surprise considering the sales of their last album. Think in 5-10yrs some marketing genius will hype some reunion concert shows and they'll get together just to play the old hits.

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I am glad to see them call it quits. After Bill Berry left, they just weren't the same and I couldn't get into the music.

They gave us tons of amazing music though.

Fresh Tendrils

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Sad to see them call it quits, but they had a good run. I tend to listen to heavier music these days, but they were the band that got me into music when I was a kid, and though I don't listen to them as much as I used to, every time I do I'm still blown away by how talented they are. I think all bands [if they manage not to implode first] eventually reach a point where they tire of touring and promotion. I guess they just reached that point. But I'm sure we'll hear from them in the future. Michael seems to be busy with his production company and art, and I'm sure Mike and Peter will have a go at producing other bands. 30 years is a pretty incredible achievement though. I honestly can't see many of todays indie bands lasting that long. It seems like a lot of them are discarded for the new Pitchfork/NME flavour of the month before their third album has dropped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.