R.I.P. Lemmy

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by aaronvan, Dec 28, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

4. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

5. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I was very sad to hear of his passing, but I can't really say I'm surprised. His health had been failing for some time before this cancer diagnosis. He'll be missed.

7. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Surprisingly, while he lived the rock/metal lifestyle, he was vehemently against drugs and drug use.

I say that, because as a young kid, Anvil fan and follower Sascha Gervasi was invited to party with the Motorhead, Anvil, and a couple of other bands. Sascha was about to take a hit of something, when Lemmy pushed him over and told him "If I see you taking any type of drugs, I'll kill you!"

Cut a long story short, Sacha lost all contact with Motorhead and Anvil for a while (21 - 22 years), and when reconnecting with Anvil, the singer/guitarist wrote Sascha back an email that said: I thought you died, or became a lawyer!

Turned out that both were true. Thanks to Lemmy, Sascha got cleaned up, and had an overdose of law school. He ended up writing a movie that was produced by Spielberg and starring Tom Hanks, and became a producer himself.

All because Lemmy got into his head about drugs.

Now.. I'm no slouch when it comes to metal, but I don't know what's crazier: how loud Lemmy and Motorhead played their gigs...

... or how the hell Filthy Animal Taylor could sit 20 feet away from his drum kit and still play! :p:D

Thanks for keeping our ears ringing, Lemmy.

BL.

9. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

The man was a legend, how he done so much and lived to the age he did was amazing, true Rock 'N Roll, the same goes for Ozzy and Keith etc.. how many guys grew up wishing they were these icons.

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I think he was against the use of certain drugs like heroin but he was renown for his prolific amphetamine (and alcohol) abuse. He was kicked out of Hawkwind after getting arrested for possession on tour in Canada and named his new band after the last song he wrote and recorded while in Hawkwind, which was named after the American slang for a speed freak.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

RIP......... Was a big fan of Motorhead. Lots of folks didn't like there sound. Was lucky enough to finally see them live and he put on a killer show.

12. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

First it was Dio, now Lemmy. My metal heroes are slowly vanishing :(

RIP Lemmy

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That actually sounds right, because the drug in question Gervasi was going to take was heroin.

BL.

14. Rab Simpson macrumors regular

Rab Simpson

Motorhead is slang for speed freak, and I don't mean going fast in a car. He was fuelled by Tennessee sour mash and amphetamine sulphate for over 40 years.