R.I.P. MacOSRumors... finally?!

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
A slow and torturous death for both rumor mongers looking for any Apple info with an ounce of credibility as well as for MOSR's staff I'm sure.

http://www.macosrumors.com/

"macosrumors.com expired on 07/16/2007 and is pending renewal or deletion."

Of course, maybe they just forgot to pay their renewal bill.

Whatever.

MR & AI is all I need anyway.:D

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i used to go there for a laugh. They had the most obscene rumours ever. They have been predicting a gaming iMac for more than a year now, and nothing has emerged.

One rumour I love was the one just prior to the release of the aluminium Apple Cinema Displays. They said Apple would drop the 20 and 23" displays, and make 30" the baseline, presumably with 42" and 50" completing the lineup.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
i used to go there for a laugh.
They really did become the laughing stock of the Apple rumor mill. ThinkSecret will take that position now I suppose.

SpyMac has just become a pastel colored ad-driven, mess of a community over the past 3 years and LoopRumors fell by the wayside for awhile there after their fallout here on MR a couple of years back, but are too obscure to even be recognized.

They had the most obscene rumours ever. They have been predicting a gaming iMac for more than a year now, and nothing has emerged.
Ah geez...

If I heard anything from them once more about the "Gamers Dream Mac", the "Ultimate Gamers Mac", or whatever they kept referring to it as, I was gonna have to kick someone out of spite.

One rumour I love was the one just prior to the release of the aluminium Apple Cinema Displays. They said Apple would drop the 20 and 23" displays, and make 30" the baseline, presumably with 42" and 50" completing the lineup.
I remember that one too! :rolleyes:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002

Of course, maybe they just forgot to pay their renewal bill.
Typical for them to forget to pay bills that take them out for long periods of time, but like a smelly zombie -- somehow they tend to arise from the grave to eat Mac User's brains.

If somebody is smart, they would do their best to snag the domain and put up a RIP sign.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Dear Arn,

Thanks for having such an awesome site and not being like MOSR & other rumors sites, or like other forums (where the signatures dominate the thread). It's actually nice to have information presented in a logical manner.

Your friend,
jdechko

:D

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Dear Arn,

Thanks for having such an awesome site and not being like MOSR & other rumors sites, or like other forums (where the signatures dominate the thread). It's actually nice to have information presented in a logical manner.

Your friend,
jdechko

:D
Agreed. This is the only Macrumor/News site I look forward to reading/posting on daily. Thanks again Arn! :D

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
MOSR was the first rumor site I ever visited back in the day. It is a shame that it fell off the map.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
MOSR was the first rumor site I ever visited back in the day. It is a shame that it fell off the map.
I recognize that MOSR was first and that they became popular after an accurate prediction many years ago, but that doesn't change the fact that they've been nothing but a waste of cyberspace for years now.

Someone should buy the domain quickly so they can't reregister! :D
LMAO!!!

doemel

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2004
Someone should buy the domain quickly so they can't reregister! :D
Guess what? I'm trying to accomplish just that. If I succeed I intend to give the domain to either macrumors or appleinsider. Not for profit, I just want my expenses covered. That would be funny, macosrumors.com finally taking you to a legitimate rumors site... But then again, we would all sorely miss Mr Maeder's insider grapevine that he collects from his multiple personalities ...errr... offices around the globe, wouldn't we?

Silencio

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
This seems to happen to them every year. Maybe this time will be the last time.

In addition to the wildly inaccurate rumors, they've added several more obnoxious features over the past year or two:

1. Breathlessly-worded story lead-ins that have dead or misbehaving links to the main "story".
2. Ryan Meader's constant complaining and whinging about his "chronic, debilitating pain" from RSI or whatever.
3. Pleas for donations or to buy the site from them outright, claiming they're one of the most, if not the most, valuable Mac-related web property around. Riiiiight.
4. The most obnoxious banners / popups anywhere.

I've habitually read their site for 10-something years now, but it's time to put them out of their misery already.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
I stopped bothering with MOSR back when their site started insisting on refreshing the page every minute or two. It wouldn't have been so bad, had it not reset the scrollbar to the top of the page everytime :rolleyes:

I even sent them an email pointing out the problem, but I never received a response so I just presume the problem was never fixed.

Kelly West

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
Well if i can snatch that domain, i would be putting a sedo page on there.. Looks like alot of users went there..

doemel

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2004
Well if i can snatch that domain, i would be putting a sedo page on there.. Looks like alot of users went there..
No, that would just mean that I'd continue what Mr Maeder was doing primarily: Trying to grab ad money. Screw that.

macfamily

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
Hee, hee

Latest Updates - Week of January 7th 2008

...We intend not only to continue in that tradition, but to improve and expand in 2008. But don't take our word for it.....check back in a matter of hours to see the all-new Mac OS Rumors!...

Three days ago.... read the entire thing... pretty funny.

dmr727

macrumors G3
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I used to read them waaay back in the day, but in the last few years their use of popups and banners got to be just plain stupid.