r MacBook Pro 13 vs 15 Revisited

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jweakley918, Mar 18, 2014.

1. jweakley918, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014

jweakley918 macrumors newbie

I've read the many previous posts on this topic, but most of them are somewhat outdated, so I'll give it another shot. I've got a Windows XP computer that needs to be replaced very soon. I seldom use that computer because I have an iPad 1 that seems to mostly suit my needs.

But despite it's greatness, the iPad isn't a computer replacement––at least not yet. So, I've decided to go with either a 13-inch or 15-inch version of rMBP. I'm retired, but I do volunteer work as a cold case analyst, so I'll do wordprocessing, spreadsheets, email, internet research, and diagrams using the new iThoughts for Mac. Also, I might try photo and video editing, but neither of those are great concerns.

The previous posts on this topic seem to say that one should get the 15-inch model because it has a better processor, and other features that don't come with the 13-inch model. I'll be carrying the computer with me to work most days, but compared to my old HP notebook, the size of the 15-inch isn't an issue. And the price difference isn't important.

So, to those who previously recommended the 15 over the 13, do you still feel that the 15 would be the superior computer for my needs?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You really didn't delineate exactly how you use the computer, i.e., what apps. This will dictate which machine will be a better choice.

Let me throw some thoughts at you though.

First, you should choose the form factor that best fits your needs, not what others state. If you find the 15" laptop a good size for what you do, stick with it.

If you're running on a win xp machine and an iPad one, you don't seem to be needing some serious horse power so I'd say top of the line models may be over kill. Additionally based on that one assumption either machine will fit, so it then it boils down to screen size. Which one do you prefer?

Finally budget will also help dictate which model best suits your needs, consider how much you're willing to spend.

3. jweakley918 thread starter macrumors newbie

maflynn, thanks for your thoughts. I would be running Pages, Numbers, iThoughts for Mac (a mind mapping app), maybe MS Office if I decided that it was needed, Turbo Tax, etc. There might be other apps, but I'm new to Apple notebooks so there might be others like photoshop, etc., that I would want. My primary concern is that so many replies to the previous posts on this subject seemed to say that the 13-inch model wasn't anywhere near the computer as the 15-inch. This is likely to be my last computer, so I want to get the best available at the time.

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I concur with Maflynn, as far as power is concerned the 13" will be ample IMO, but just go with your preferred screen size.
    I find the one in my signature does me just fine, I have come from a 15.4" Win7 laptop and find the 13" just honkey dorey.

Barney

5. leman macrumors 604

You need to decide what is more important to you - power or portability. Both models are quite powerful, and both are very portable, but the difference is still there. The 15" has a bigger screen (important if you want to fit more information on the display) and a faster CPU/GPU (important if you want to do serious video/photo editing), but its also heavier. From what you've said, the 13" will absolutely satisfy your computational needs, so its really just the form factor - pick one you are more comfortable with.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Based on your stated needs, either machine will be more then enough for you, so it does boil down to your preferred screen size.

I recommend, if feasible, that you go visit an apple store or an authorized apple dealer and check both out. See how they are weight, dimension and screen size.

7. jweakley918 thread starter macrumors newbie

My thanks to all who responded to my post. I ended up getting the 13-inch MB Pro with retina screen.

8. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

Good choice. I came from a 17" Build to Order MBP (late 2006). I've been using the 13" rMBP for 4 days, 10 to 12 hours per day. It took about 2 days to get used to the smaller screen size but now I love it. I don't need major computing power and this new 2.4 Ghz machine puts my old MBP to shame.

9. jdiamond macrumors 6502

Just to show the other side...

I totally agree that the 13" rMBP is awesome and compact.

I just wanted to add some of the reasons I went with the 15", just for perspective:

-> I got the model with the discreet GPU, which allows me to (1) program in CUDA, and (2) drive 4K displays at 60 Hz.
    -> Having four cores is nice for some occasional parallel tasks I run...
    -> I needed a 1 TB hard drive option
    -> It was only a little more expensive and a pound heavier, and the larger screen is kinda nice.

If I didn't have some of these somewhat high end needs, though, I think the 13" version is just fantastic. :)

In a way, the difference is analogous to choosing between the 13" Air and the 13" rMBP.