R-MBP makes all other screens look like *#&#.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DustinT, Jun 14, 2012.

1. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Ok, maybe it's not quite that bad... But, the screen on this is so crisp, it's immediately addictive. So, I'm using the system and I'm thinking, ya, the screen looks great. Then I switch to any other computer and I'm wondering who smeared vaseline on the screen.

I will say, the screen will immediately make you wish that more web developers could increase the resolution on their images. Logos, ads, pretty much all bitmaps looks pretty fuzzy now. At least I can watch 4k vids from Red cameras in full resolution now.

2. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

You most definitely can't.

3. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

Doh! I should have typed 2k... good catch.. the 4k vids are scaled a bit, aren't they. Well, it's a lot better than the last MBP I had.

4. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

RED outputs 4K (4096x2160) or 4K HD (3840x2160)...so they are scaled quite a bit.

They will still look amazing though :D

5. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

Holy crap yes.... I'm going to fill the SSD with footage... I'll just fire it up and drool all over the keyboard...

Seriously though, I like this screen. I can't wait for this to hit the mainstream.

6. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

Speaking of which, where do you like to get demo footage from? I'm in need of some new stuff.

7. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Straight off my Scarlet-X :D

Check out REDuser.net, a lot of great stuff is posted over there. For the ultimate demo, go buy the newly released "Timescapes" film at Timescapes.org. They sell a version rendered specifically for the new Retina display ;)

8. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Do you have any current versions of Creative Suite or other non-Apple editing or 3d software installed on there? I'm really curious what non-Retina-optimized apps look like and haven't seen any info on that yet.

Hadn't thought about editing for RED users on the MBP Retina but that is a pretty great application for it.

9. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I have looked at the screen, and sure it's pretty, but...

Honestly, it looks worse to me than every conceivable display which is not glossy. I cannot imagine trying to work on that thing for any length of time.

10. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

I understand what you mean. I'm used to the 15.4' glossy display and this is a substantial improvement. There's a lot less glare on it. So, it works well for me.

----------

I have CS 5.5 which I'll install when I get home. If it's not been patched by Apple it will be scaled for sure. Once patched it should work fine. I'd hope Adobe would patch cs 5, 5.5 and 6...

----------

show off! ;)

11. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I'd appreciate it, I'm curious what those look like as well as what Adobe's plans are for making them Retina compatible/optimized.

12. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yup, the web is reporting that Adobe has committed to push out an update very soon. I hope that's the case. I'd imagine it won't look very good until they do. iPhoto is pretty amazing since it's been updated. I can't wait to see Photoshop.

13. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I know Photoshop has been mentioned, I'm really more curious about the rest of the Adobe suite as well as Maya and a few other apps.

Given Autodesk's "dedication" to the Mac I'm not holding out much hope there.

14. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

We have quite a few users here on AutoDesk products but they are all Windows based. Sorry, there's not much I can do for you there. Time will tell what AutoDesk plans.

15. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Because the LCD screen is 2880x1800 pixels. Full res implies seeing all the pixels without having to downscale.

You can watch a 4K file now, but you aren't seeing it pixel for pixel.

16. Xcelerate macrumors regular

I hate you. ;)

17. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

ya, nobody really likes him much...

:eek:

18. macbook123 macrumors 68000

19. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT