R They Flippin' Insane !!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Eager Beaver, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

I was looking at colored vinel stickers and such from a thread on this site that eventually lead me to a video of a company offering colored front and back glass for the iphone 4/s (it's the same phone folks). I really liked the deep red color and clicked a couple of times to find out the cost and the wanted $170 american! :eek:

R they insane?
    $170 for a front and back, and you can get an actual 4/s for $100-$200 bucks

Anyone seen one of these conversions in person?
    Would anyone even consider such a huge amount of cash just to change the color?
    (it does look nice though)

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

people are willing to pay, some just believe that paying more means you're getting a better product. Sometimes that *may* be true, but in this case you're often (keyword "often," notice I didn't say "always") getting the same parts as the ones on eBay. If I recall correctly, you can get the front and back for about $70. The reason it's so expensive is because the lcd, digitizer, and front glass are all one unit. If you were able to separate the LCD, it's be closer to $30 for the entire kit (just a guess).

3. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

anyone got any links or company names that make these colored glass front and backs?
    (I really would like one, but no way for $170)

4. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Are talking about colorware by any chance?

5. Eager Beaver, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2011

Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

I don't know, I clicked on a utube vid, there was this chick who got a red one and a blue one for demo, and was having a contest with the winner sending their phone in for a free color swap -

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

7. white4s macrumors 65816

cnn.cn focussupply.com and then of course ebay

i also wanted to do a full conversion but even for $70 , its a lil too much since you have to take the phone apart and its risky. ill be happy with just a back plate. either going blue or carbon fiber

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

anybody can charge what ever they want. People can also choose to pay or not. if you want it's bad enough it worth $170 to you.

9. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

If it's too much you can try another source, usually you get what you pay for. Again, when you buy a phone for $200, it doesn't really cost $200. The price is is reduced because of the 2 year commitment with data plan.

That being said, you could try http://cnn.cn I bought a iPhone 4 back from there, it took a 2 or 3 weeks to receive since it shipped from PRC, HK or maybe TW. Don't remember.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Thread has been cleaned up.

FWIW if a typical case is $50 and a colorware conversion is $250 if you provide the phone or $1050 if they do, US$170 doesn't seem completely out of whack if the results are reasonable.

The cost of a 16GB iPhone 4S over a 2 year contract with AT&T (cheapest individual plans) is US$200+US$55/mo*24mo=$1520. $170 or $250 to get the non-standard color you want for that duration may not seem worth it to you (or I for that matter), but I can see how it doesn't seem insane.

It's not unlike custom painting or otherwise decorating your car, not cheap and not for everyone.

B

11. white4s macrumors 65816

12. maniacphoner macrumors regular

Haha this got me laughing.
    I, personally, would not spend USD 170 unless I wanted to really invest on my iphone and not regret spending that much for the product of finished quality later.