R we too anal?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iMetalG5, Oct 21, 2008.

1. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

I noticed the fine scratch marks on the bezel maybe 2 days after owning the iPhone. Dust under glass just this past weekend (using an LED light). The 2 days of ownership I did not carry the iPhone on me because of activation problems (which came back to haunt me on Sunday). I had to use my business issued BlackB 8820 in the interm. So I didn't use it as a cell for the first 2 days. So I can't see how the bezel got scratched by just sitting in its box to sitting on my counter. makes me think it came scratched. The dust who knows. Maybe it was there when I bought it...

I've looked at a few iPhones in the office and some of you would faint. Scratched, nicked, scraped, dirty as all heck, broken off switches... yes you read that right.

Some have them in cases some just go naked. A few co-workers were like, "What the hell is the big deal man???? Its just an iPhone. Its going to get dropped, its going to get scratched, its going to get dirty!" Some of them have stopped by the forum here and were laughing out loud saying why are "WE" so concerned with what case is the best. Just buy a damn case and be happy with what you have!

Are "WE" just different? I'm trying to decide which case I want and they think I'm a weirdo for taking so much time. Slider or NEO, haahha. I guess we could say the same for someone that say collects stamps or something "WE" do not understand.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Everybody is different. But we have some things in common.

This forum is a collection of people with opinions regarding Apple. Someone without an opinion on it (your co-workers) wouldn't be here because it would bore them. My girlfriend thinks I get carried away with technology stuff, but she appreciates it when I fix her iBook or her mom's MacBook. I don't get how she can watch fashion / model shows, but I appreciate it when she buys me a nice shirt.

We're all a little nuts about something. It makes life (and this forum) interesting.

3. papiti macrumors regular

papiti

Yes we are!!!!! Nothing wrong with that dude. I just had a discussion with my wife about being anal with stuff, like iPhone, etc. and she was all mad because I'm always using the iPhone's App's. and all my computer and electronics stuff. She was yelling at me about it, so I just walked towards the TV and entertainment system and just started disconnecting everything. What the hell are you doing?, your son was watching TV and now he's crying, She YELLED. My answer, EXACTLY!!!!

Point being, we have to be anal about some stuff. People are never going to appreciate it. Just do it because you like it and don't worry about what other people think. In one way or another, you are making someone happy!!!:D:):apple:

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm anal to a degree with stuff--but generally only when something is new. In the first several weeks of owning my iphone I kept it in a case and would faint if a breeze blew across it. :)

Now that I've had it a few months, I've ditched the stupid ugly bulky case and just try to be careful with it. I actually enjoy it a lot more now since I've stopped treating as a piece of rare crystal. I keep it in my pocket by itself without things that might scratch it and I've found that's good enough. Once I get to the point where I'm careless enough to drop the iphone and potentially crack the screen it will likely be upgrade time anyway.

5. thealmeidas1022 macrumors newbie

thealmeidas1022

Your not only anal but you also have anger issues.... ;)
    ========

but everyone is always anal about something i guess, its just has to be your cup of tea...

6. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i'm rockin' an Otterbox Defender right now at work. And a few people looked at me and said, "You gotta be kidding!" :rolleyes: said I am definitly paranoid and wacked. i'm borrowing the Defender from a construction guy who uses it ONLY when he's on the job. At home and out and about he uses an Incase Slider.

I guess the Defender really screams "My iPhone is precious, its a safe queen!" and also screams, "LOOK AT ME!" yeah its an awesome case but its too bulky and the rubber is stretched out so it doesn't reholster correctly. Unholstering is a royal pain...

7. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

You sound pretty anal to me

you remind me of the guys who drive around with car bras on the front... it just makes you look cheap and tacky

I understand the use of a case if you are going to be travelling, or doing outdoor activities. Much like i understand the car bra thing if you are driving cross country

but for day to day use the otterbox seems excessive

8. papiti macrumors regular

papiti

Dude, READ, I'm not the one with anger issues, is my wife, JA, JA, JA!!! And BTW, READ a little bit more, the point being.....:D:apple:

I can see you're one of those people that doesn't appreciate our anal stuff!!!! JA, JA!!!!

9. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

lol, i was definately anal about my iPhone but thats more because I have a tendency to break my cell phones. I bought that dual flip phone from verizon right after it launched and within 1 month I had broken it, within 4 months of that repair I had broken the replacement.

I don't know, honestly at this point Im just using cases because they match my clothes and/or accessories... thats really why I have so many of them. I'm not as concerned about protecting the iPhone at all. I've dropped my phone in and out of case a few times already, no big deal.

10. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well its funny, i do own a higher end car and i never thought to myself to put a "bra" on my car. if it gets chipped oh well. but i think the Germans know a good thing when it comes to paint anyway.

well i am going hunting every weekend with the dog and i do have a tendency to drop my cell (you should see my company issued BB 8820, it looks like its been though hell and back) and bang into things when its on my belt... i guess since this is a touch type device i'm more paranoid about damage. also i just don't wanna do the pocket thing, never have...

oh well, so be it, if people wanna poke fun of me because i use an otterbox so be it. :D

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Yeah, I don't know. I've spent tons of money ($200 or so) on cases and films for my iPhone 3G, but I've finally come to my senses. ;)

It's just a phone. By the time it looks bad enough (scratches, etc) to really get on my nerves, I'll probably just buy a new one anyway. And in the meantime, it looks (and feels!) damn sexy. Even films like InvisibleShield and BodyGuardz end up detracting from the phone - they aren't 100% clear, so they end up making a white iPhone look yellow, they collect lint and grime in the corners, and they're a painti apply. Screen films are equally lame (IMO) as the anti-glare ones aren't totally clear, and the clear ones scratch way too easily. I'm not really willing to add bulk, so a hard case is out of the question, and I keep the iPhone in my pocket so a silicone case wouldn't work, either.

I've decided to just enjoy the phone naked. I mean the phone being naked, not neccessarily me. ;) Ive also decided to leave my new iPod touch 2G naked as well, and while the back is starting to get scratched up, I don't really care. The screen is pristine, and that's all that really matters to me. Mind you, I've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on films and cases for my iPods over the years, so this is a pretty big shift for me. But it's nice just enjoying these gadgets instead of fretting over keeping them absolutely perfect. :)

12. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

my main concern is just keeping the thing running. mine is already scratched on the bezel and its no biggie. even the apple logo is scratched and I honestly haven't even used it much yet. so it goes to show it will scratch even just sitting on your desk!

I've ruined one BB (company issued) this past winter when I was snow blowing and my last cell I dropped a few times (Moto Razr2) and lost it in the woods by accident while grouse hunting. I couldn't find the darn thing because I had it on vibrate! the next day my dog found it and retrieved it for me. Unfortunately the screen got all blotchy for some reason and I had to replace it with a refurb one which I kept in decent shape as I was more conscious.

so I guess I can be as careful as I can or i can get a good case... i don't know maybe its peace of mind. i've never had to worry about a glass screen before.

who knows, maybe i'll just get a cheap case and holster it and let what ever happens happen, that's life right?

edit - and it is interesting, my Macbook Pro I got just a little while ago has scratches/scuffs and its weird I don't feel the same way about protecting it as I do with the iPhone.

13. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

good post, have you read my review of all the shields

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=569101

I think eventually I will remove the front shield and go naked in the front

buuuuuuuuuut

I really like having a rear shield , a) for added grip and b) i dont have to worry about where i put my phone down

its nice to know that I can put my phone in my center console or put it on a treadmill and not have to worry about it slipping as much as it would if the back was naked

14. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well my friend just dropped his iPhone down some concrete stairs and he did not have a screen protector on and it chipped the glass (near the home button) and put some very light scratches on the glass. He did have an Incase Slider and it protected the body.

The only thing is his iPhone freezes up even after a full restore. So he has to take it back for warranty service.