RA3 Graphics Vs. SC2 for MBP

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MyDesktopBroke, Jun 18, 2009.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Okay, here's a video of somebody using a late 2008 MBP, 2.4ghz, 9600 w/ 256MB to play Red Alert at what appears to be max graphics on a 3 player map. There is a fare amount of action going on (battles on the sea, air, and land at the same time) with very little noticeable slow down or break up.

My questions is: based on that video and RA3 graphics quality and requirements, do you think it would be fair to assume that the MBP should be able to run Starcraft 2 at pretty good quality also? From what I've seen, the graphics are comparable (RA3 water looks more demanding, actually), but I've never actually played SC2.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think you'd be better off waiting for Starcraft 2 benchmarks first.

3. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, yes, that would be much more informative, but I was just wondering if anyone would have an educated guess on the matter.

I already bought a MBP refurb. Gaming had little to do with my purchase, so the performance isn't something I was holding out for.

Hopefully, once the SC2 beta starts, at least one person here will be able to tell us.

4. kar1181 macrumors newbie

Had the same question myself. The only game I can see myself playing in the coming year is SC 2 (something to do with how many years of my life I lost in my teens with the first game!).

Really do wonder how the 13" mbp will hold up with it.

5. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

The 9400 isn't great for gaming, but it can run Halo and Age of Empires 3 (which still has the best water effect I've ever seen) at max settings (except AA for Halo).

I doubt it will run Starcraft 2 at max, but, knowing Blizzard, you will be able to scale the graphics down to a playable speed.