Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyyfan333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2014
I recently bought a Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 racing wheel and when I plug it in the light on the wheel turns on but I cannot seem to get my computer to recognize the wheel. I know Thrustmaster do not make drivers for Mac but is there any way to just get basic functionality out of it?

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
i m planning to get the same wheel for my gaming too for the mac, you got it finally to work? i think you have to configure it in the game settings, which games have you tried it on?

RaiderFan12015

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
I am in the same boat. I got the wheel, I was hoping to use it on iRacing. Everything i have seen suggests it doesn't work through OS. Does anyone know if I install windows and run the game through windows (via bootcamp) will the wheel (and force feedback) be supported, obviously after all the drivers and installed while running windows?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
It should work (as long as it is a standard PC USB HID wheel) however force feedback won't work without drivers (and Thrustmaster don't make any Mac drivers).

Have you installed HID Calibrator (or similar) to see if the inputs are being picked up by the OS? If they are then it's surely an in game setup issue.

RaiderFan12015

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
Ok so a few questions then. How do I know what kind of USB it is. The only info I found was that it's a USB 2.0. And what is HID? I am really stupid when it comes to this stuff lol.

So if I install windows through boot camp and run the game and wheel on the windows operating system it should work just like it would on PC correct? I guess my understanding is that the Mac OS doesn't aupport ffb so if that Isnthe case when I install windows and run everything through windows it essentially made my Mac a PC right?

RaiderFan12015

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
Just FYI if you download Microsoft windows via boot camp on the Mac and run windows the Thrustmaster wheel will work with ffb. I've been playing iracing with it with no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.