MP 7,1 Rackmount Mac Pro + Storage NAS idea?

sn1p3r845

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Hey everyone,

I'm starting to think about pricing out and how I would configure a new Mac Pro setup. Right now I have G-Speed 4 bay raid and 2013 Mac Pro, which is obviously out of date so I need to look into new solutions.

I was thinking how a rackmount setup would be that would sit under my desk which houses the computer and a good raid/nas together. Would it be too noisy? I haven't had a nas before, but the reason why I would look into it is because sometimes I'm away from my workstation and access files via my macbook to work remotely. Lately I've just been using Dropbox and dumping the entire project folder there and working on it. After the project is done I move it to my archive drives.

Is Nas still relevant these days, or am I better off just sticking with a good raid system for local work only?

AdamSeen

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013
The answer should really be determined by your tolerance to noise. Inside the computer will likely be the fastest, but I’d never go for a bunch of spinning disk inside a machine so quiet. I’d get an optical thunderbolt cable or 10gb NAS and move it away. What would you prefer?

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2019
Hey everyone,

I'm starting to think about pricing out and how I would configure a new Mac Pro setup. Right now I have G-Speed 4 bay raid and 2013 Mac Pro, which is obviously out of date so I need to look into new solutions.

I was thinking how a rackmount setup would be that would sit under my desk which houses the computer and a good raid/nas together. Would it be too noisy? I haven't had a nas before, but the reason why I would look into it is because sometimes I'm away from my workstation and access files via my macbook to work remotely. Lately I've just been using Dropbox and dumping the entire project folder there and working on it. After the project is done I move it to my archive drives.

Is Nas still relevant these days, or am I better off just sticking with a good raid system for local work only?
What kind of capacities are we talking about ? We should be close to the point where we can install 16TB ( 4 x 4TB ) of brand name , quality and relatively inexpensive NVMe M.2s on a single flash RAID card . Something from the Intel 660p or HP EX950 series .

s66

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2016
Spinning disks make noise. Lots of spinning disks make lots of noise.I'd keep the NAS in a rack in the basement or so and a silent computer you work on close to you. Might mean to cable some 10Gbps ethernet cables (cat.7) or even optical fibre if you need/want more bandwidth than that.

Reactions: OkiRun

sn1p3r845

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
Vancouver, BC
The answer should really be determined by your tolerance to noise. Inside the computer will likely be the fastest, but I’d never go for a bunch of spinning disk inside a machine so quiet. I’d get an optical thunderbolt cable or 10gb NAS and move it away. What would you prefer?
Well, I'm a video editor and noise is obviously a bit of an issue since I need to hear what I'm doing. I use studio monitors and never headphones. My issue is I lease an enclosed 1 person office in a shared area, so I can't just put it in another room and run cables.

What kind of capacities are we talking about ? We should be close to the point where we can install 16TB ( 4 x 4TB ) of brand name , quality and relatively inexpensive NVMe M.2s on a single flash RAID card . Something from the Intel 660p or HP EX950 series .
Right now my G-Speed 4 Bay TB2 has 4x 10tb drives in Raid 5, so 32tb usable space. I'd want minimum 40tb and up to 90tb of space total for the new setup. My workflow is using the raid for current projects, then after they're done I offload them onto archive drives and store them.

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2019
Well, I'm a video editor and noise is obviously a bit of an issue since I need to hear what I'm doing. I use studio monitors and never headphones. My issue is I lease an enclosed 1 person office in a shared area, so I can't just put it in another room and run cables.

Right now my G-Speed 4 Bay TB2 has 4x 10tb drives in Raid 5, so 32tb usable space. I'd want minimum 40tb and up to 90tb of space total for the new setup. My workflow is using the raid for current projects, then after they're done I offload them onto archive drives and store them.
If you are careful how you configure , you can get four 16 Lane Electrical PCIe Rev 3 Slots populated with flash RAID Cards in a MP7,1 . That should provide 64 TB of raw flash storage ( much faster than mechanical ) that you can use to configure some sort of RAID array , when those 4TB drives become available .

You'll have to get creative with where you install the UI graphics card ...

Either that , or utilize the MP7,1's TB3 port(s) with another external mechanical drive RAID chassis .