Radeon 2600 hosed?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BSartist, Jun 12, 2009.

1. BSartist macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a mac pro from early 2008 with the Radeon 2600 card in it. I am getting no DVI signal on mt DELL 2407. My wife claims it may have started when she hit the wrong button on the monitor when turning it off but i doubt that would permanently damage anything.

I've cycled through the inputs to make sure DVI is selected, power cycled everything numerous times. I tried both DVI ports on the card, a VGA cable with the adapter. I even reset the PRAM. Nothing.

anything else I can try? Im desperate now cuz I have something very important toprint tonight.

If the card is hosed, will the ATI 2600 HD cards sold at compusa for $60 work? They appear to have another manufacturer on them and have another ouput jack.

Bill

Addendum. I just used a VGA cable with the DVI-VGA adapter (and hooked the other end to the VGA input to the monitor and it DID work. I would guess that it could be the DVI input of the monitor but I also tried another monitor with the DVI cable and it did not work.

Also, when I unplug the DVI cable from the back of the MAC, the monitor does know that it's unplugged (vs no DVI from the card).

2. BSartist thread starter macrumors newbie

Further info

Something wierd. After it worked with the VGA card and adapter, I swapped the DVI cable back in and restarted. No good.

I put back the VGA/adapter cable and not it won't work again (I am also performing the appropriate cable swaps at the monitor end).

3. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

My ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT is doing the same thing on a early 2008 Mac Pro. I found if I unplug everything for about 10 minutes and then re-attach only the mouse, keyboard and video, I can get the screen to come on.

Tried 2 monitors, each with their own cable and each would not get a signal. From weeks of searching the net I suspect it is the 2600 that is dead/dying on you.

ATI makes a 3870 card that OWC sales for $220 that Mac Pro systems are supposed to handle. My system is still under AppleCare and they are ordering me a new card.

Good luck,

4. BSartist thread starter macrumors newbie

Replacement question

Yep. I think it's going/gone. Worked for a week on DVI again but now it's dead again.

I can find some reasonably priced "LIKE NEW" cards with the same exact brand/model (e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170345376091&_trksid=p2759.l1259)

But I am not sure if there is anything special about the Early 2008 Mac Pros that require a particular run of these cards.

I noticed another new one for sale that says "early 2008 mac pro only" so I am concerned that I cant just buy any ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB PCI-e Dual DVI S-Video card

Bill

5. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

on 99% of 'mac edition' graphics cards, they have a different bios. Pretty much the way it communicates with the system is different on the mac then through windows.
    What that means is you really can't just buy 'any old 2600' and get it to work, you'll need to buy one designed for the mac.

6. BSartist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.

Thanks for the info. I figure as much.