Radeon 3870 x2 Under OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sveetly, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Sveetly macrumors member

Sveetly

According to the article: http://netkas.org/?p=55, you can use the 3870 x2 with Mac OS X.

The article was not descriptive enough for me, and I cannot figure out how to get it working. I used GFX-strings to get it to show up in System Profiler, but it isn't in any PCI-E port (according to it.)

What are the remaining steps?

Thanks in advance.

2. mastersoft macrumors member

what kind of card is need ? MSI...SAPPHIRE...HIS ?

more details pls ?

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'd advise you to re-read the entry on the site "http://netkas.org/?p=55" and continue into the comments, the author tells you what he/she has done... step by step guide.

4. Sveetly thread starter macrumors member

Sveetly

Oops

Oh, comments. I decided they were useless after the first two. Thanks for pointing that out :) Yet after reading it, I still cannot figure out to do with all the stuff, and I can't open the .kext with any of the three hex editors I tried. I haven't a clue what to do with the Natit.kext or gfxutil or r3870.hex or R3870.plist. I'm probably just stupid, but I seriously need some dumbed-down instructions :confused:

mastersoft, it is an Asus card. Found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121247

5. Rankrotten macrumors 6502

Rankrotten

That won't work on a Mac Pro, I've tried with my 3870x2 to no avail.

The kexts and Natit work with PC based Hackintoshes that emulate the Mac OS EFI bootloader and trick it into recognizing the new hardware during the boot sequence. This is not possible on a real mac.

Unless anyone knows differently...

6. Sveetly thread starter macrumors member

Sveetly

Boo! I think my card is defective anyway, or do you have a clue why I have choppy game play, for example, in Oblivion, where tests promise frame rates in the 50's or higher, Ultra-high settings, 1400x900, when I get what I'd guess is in the 10's or 20's in even the simplest indoor environments.

Half-Life 2 (both episodes) runs much, much worse than on even the 7300GT. It's completely unplayable and crashes all the time. Same for Battlefield 2 and 2142. The list goes on and on.

Any idea what might be wrong?

7. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

An ATI 3870 running slower than a single Geforce 7300GT with stock settings? Impossible. I had two 7300GTs on my mac pro, SLI'ed with cable, AND overclocked and my single 3870 does better than both.

Did you install the drivers? Thats the only explanation i can see possible for such bad performance.

8. Sveetly thread starter macrumors member

Sveetly

It now runs everything well except Oblivion and BF:2142.

I've heard Oblivion never fully taxes the graphics card at lower resolutions (like mine.) Anyway, Oblivion runs better than it did before now, just not as well as promised.

What I did was downgraded the drivers, then re-updated them . . .

But now the CPU-A and CPU-B "Overtemp" lights came on, yet the computer functioned properly and there was no alarm. All the red lights on the Ram risers were on as well. Which doesn't make sense. The inside of the computer was quite chilly. Not hot at all. The CPU's cover was almost icy :confused: And the lights stayed on LONG after the power was off. Strange.