Radeon 5870 Mac Edition not coming to Mac Pro (apparently)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DualShock, May 11, 2010.

1. DualShock macrumors 6502

I just shot a quick tweet over to @CatalystMaker, aka Terry Makedon, ATI mgr for the Catalyst driver suite, asking about a possible 5870 Mac Edition release in the near future since Steam for Mac is coming out tomorrow. My intention in asking this was to say that gaming for the Mac seems to be picking up.

His reply:

Direct link to his reply:
    https://twitter.com/CatalystMaker/statuses/13801712761

Of course, he may not be privy to exactly what the hardware guys are working on, given Apple's crazy NDA's, but you never know.

But I think this is the first (semi-)definitive news I've heard about a Mac 5870.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Would be bad news...
    However, if a new Mac Pro finally does arrive, I'm sure the 5870 will come available. It won't be nVidia only and I can't imagine any other Radeon card inside a new future Mac Pro.

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

I don't really think a Windows Driver Programmer would have any clue if ATI was working on a Mac Version.

Him using the words "as far as I know" would also suggest that he isn't informed of such stuff.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

+1

I've found out that in big companies like ATI, most of the people know nothing about anything, they just work there and does their stuff. Seeing that how Apple protects their future products, I'm pretty sure that the information about future cards in ATI isn't widely spread, there ain't people going with megaphones and yelling "NEXT GEN MAC PRO WILL GET A 5870". It's very secretive, only few people knows about it if it's coming and they don't spread it.

AFAIK usually tells that the person has no idea, he's just guessing

5. DualShock thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly. Hence the "apparently" part of the thread title. :)

6. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I find it relevant to point out also that you asked about a third party aftermarket card release, which we know won't happen. We know if it is deployed, it'll be an  OEM card you buy from  as an aftermarket upgrade or get as a CTO option, not a "Mac Edition". So if he did know, the answer to your question would have been "No," either way.