Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I just bought this lot of stuff on Ebay, primarily for the Geforce 4 Ti(which I know is a Mac edition).

There's also a Radeon 8500 in the lot, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me from visual inspection whether or not it's a Mac card. I found some images of a boxed Mac 8500 that look identical to this one, but am still wondering.

If it is in fact the Mac card it will be a nice bonus-if not I at least got the Ti for a decent price :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-Geforce...2WrCzAtAPf8M0GUdQ3luE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
Seeing as it is in a lot of Mac things it would be fairly safe to assume it's the Mac version. Even if it is the PC version, you could always flash it with the Mac firmware. Without seeing it up close there's no way to tell which version it is.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Unlikely as the blue coloured VGA port would suggest a retail PC edition. Mac OEM cards tend to have uniform colour ports but I might be wrong.

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
Unlikely as the blue coloured VGA port would suggest a retail PC edition. Mac OEM cards tend to have uniform colour ports but I might be wrong.

That tends to only be the case for OEM versions of cards - the retail boards are usually very similar to their PC counterparts. The one in the auction certainly looks the same as the retail 8500 - the OP could certainly have lucked out on this one! :)

Attachments

• FU1405261-7.jpg
    FU1405261-7.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 379

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
That tends to only be the case for OEM versions of cards - the retail boards are usually very similar to their PC counterparts. The one in the auction certainly looks the same as the retail 8500 - the OP could certainly have lucked out on this one! :)

Hmm... the one from the auction looks pretty similar. My guess is that it would work, although I don't know if there is some odd chance that they made an identical Windows-PC-only version xD

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Thanks...I found the same picture above in Google images, and it does indeed look like the(boxed) card pictured.

If it turns out to not be, I have nothing to lose by trying to flash it. I'll probably try to grab an old AGP-equipped Dell this week, as I have a big stack of PC-edition Rage 128s that I'd like to reflash just to get a couple more computers from the horde I bought last week working. If I can get flashing down with those, I may buy some better cards to try my luck with.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The card arrived today...looks like it is indeed a Mac card

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    48 KB · Views: 189
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.