Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

graybot

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
I've been playing OW on Bootcamp and experiencing the same issues with the frames dropping down to 20fps or so. It happens most often when maps are changing, or a menu is loading something. I find that hitting the windows key or something then switching back to the app fixes the issue (resolution change like you've stated).

Were you able to fix it, and if so, how?

It definitely happens most often in OW, at least once per session.

I'm going to try installing the driver that was linked a few posts above. I'll let you know how it goes.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Are there any benchmarks out there which show the performance difference on the 580 vs the 575/570?

I'm in the market for a decent family system and the iMac fits the bill perfectly but the 580, at least in New Zealand is ludicrously expensive so looking at the lower models but with an SSD but can't find any real benchmarks of those models as everything is against the top end 580

gian8989

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
Are there any benchmarks out there which show the performance difference on the 580 vs the 575/570?

I'm in the market for a decent family system and the iMac fits the bill perfectly but the 580, at least in New Zealand is ludicrously expensive so looking at the lower models but with an SSD but can't find any real benchmarks of those models as everything is against the top end 580
What do you need to do with the iMac?

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
What do you need to do with the iMac?

Regular type use, photography, video editing, general family type computer. But also would like to play some of my stupid large steam library occasionally which is why I'm interested in the you difference.
I run a lot of vms from time to time for job learning tools but normally do this on my work laptop so I'm happy for the iMac to stay at the i5.
SSD is something I would get though as been ssd only for like 4 years now and don't want to go back.

PJivan

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015
Regular type use, photography, video editing, general family type computer. But also would like to play some of my stupid large steam library occasionally which is why I'm interested in the you difference.
I run a lot of vms from time to time for job learning tools but normally do this on my work laptop so I'm happy for the iMac to stay at the i5.
SSD is something I would get though as been ssd only for like 4 years now and don't want to go back.

GPU is a part you can't replace....also the i5 cpu is more powerful while not noisy, and the price difference is not huge...unless you plan to play on a 1080p tv I would go with the 580

Reactions: Glideslope

bry223

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004

I'm going to try installing the driver that was linked a few posts above. I'll let you know how it goes.

This issue is quickly resolved by going into windowed mode then back to full screen mode. I linked this to the AMD Software rather than the driver. Uninstalling fixed the issue (Keep the driver).

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
I watched a 5K video on YouTube using Chrome, not a single hiccup. I'm rockin' i5, Radon 580, 16GB RAM, 2TB Fusion Drive 27" iMac. The display is crazy BRIGHT. At times, it's too bright but I like it. :)

graybot

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016

Sadly, the new drivers did not solve the issue (though performance is slightly improved when the low frame rate issue is not occurring- I was able to bump my texture filtering up quite a bit without losing any frames).
[doublepost=1502311729][/doublepost]
This issue is quickly resolved by going into windowed mode then back to full screen mode. I linked this to the AMD Software rather than the driver. Uninstalling fixed the issue (Keep the driver).

Yep. That's essentially what I do, but I just switch between resolutions or switch to the desktop and back, whichever is faster depending on the game.

So, you uninstalled the AMD Crimson software but kept the driver? I'll give it a shot.

Songan

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2017
Sadly, the new drivers did not solve the issue (though performance is slightly improved when the low frame rate issue is not occurring- I was able to bump my texture filtering up quite a bit without losing any frames).
[doublepost=1502311729][/doublepost]

Yep. That's essentially what I do, but I just switch between resolutions or switch to the desktop and back, whichever is faster depending on the game.

So, you uninstalled the AMD Crimson software but kept the driver? I'll give it a shot.

I got the same problem. Im running Star Wars: The Old Republic just fine, but after a few minutes my frames drop vom 60FPS (vsync on) to arround 30 FPS. An UI reset / graphics reload will fix the issue, but it is annoying as hell and just not fun atm to play any game...

Uninstalling Radon Crimson will uninstall drivers too...did anyone found any solution so far?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I watched a 5K video on YouTube using Chrome, not a single hiccup. I'm rockin' i5, Radon 580, 16GB RAM, 2TB Fusion Drive 27" iMac. The display is crazy BRIGHT. At times, it's too bright but I like it. :)

So do these iMac's actually show 5K content? i wasn't sure about this since I've only ever seen 4K content such as UHD Blu Rays from places like HMV and so on.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

Doesn’t matter which GPU you have, as this decode is done on the CPU. It would be same on the 570.

Perfectly smooth on my i5 7600 with 575, with about 40% CPU usage.

BTW, if I launch the video fullscreen on my external 1440p screen (which is an external 27" iMac, YouTube knows to switch to 1440p instead of 5K 2880p, despite the fact the machine's native screen is 5K.

So do these iMac's actually show 5K content? i wasn't sure about this since I've only ever seen 4K content such as UHD Blu Rays from places like HMV and so on.
Of course. Don't overthink it. It's a 5K screen.

imac-27-mid-2017-compute.png

Last edited:

kindaichi81

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2015
Doesn’t matter which GPU you have, as this decode is done on the CPU. It would be same on the 570.

Perfectly smooth on my i5 7600 with 575, with about 40% CPU usage.

BTW, if I launch the video fullscreen on my external 1440p screen (which is an external 27" iMac, YouTube knows to switch to 1440p instead of 5K 2880p, despite the fact the machine's native screen is 5K.

Of course. Don't overthink it. It's a 5K screen.

imac-27-mid-2017-compute.png
Very significant performance difference for 580.

I will go for 580 model.

Reactions: SaSaSushi

Ylan

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm
I'm definitely not more than a casual gamer but since Steam had a sale just before i bought my new iMac (i5, 580, SSD) I bought Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, having heard that the graphics are nice.

And boy, they really are. I will soon have played half of the campaign on what I think are max settings, at 2560 x 1440 and am taken aback by the fantastic quality.

I haven't checked the FPS count, but it is definitely playable.

Now I wonder what other games will look stunning and still be playable on my Mac (under Mac OS, I haven't got Windows installed).

Humbly, Ylan

Hrodriguez77

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2017
NJ
I'm definitely not more than a casual gamer but since Steam had a sale just before i bought my new iMac (i5, 580, SSD) I bought Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, having heard that the graphics are nice.

And boy, they really are. I will soon have played half of the campaign on what I think are max settings, at 2560 x 1440 and am taken aback by the fantastic quality.

I haven't checked the FPS count, but it is definitely playable.

Now I wonder what other games will look stunning and still be playable on my Mac (under Mac OS, I haven't got Windows installed).

Humbly, Ylan

I'm also wondering what modern games will be playable under macOS. I don't want to be forced to install windows just for gaming.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I got the same problem. Im running Star Wars: The Old Republic just fine, but after a few minutes my frames drop vom 60FPS (vsync on) to arround 30 FPS. An UI reset / graphics reload will fix the issue, but it is annoying as hell and just not fun atm to play any game...

Uninstalling Radon Crimson will uninstall drivers too...did anyone found any solution so far?
Wonder if your GPU is throttling?

Stef202

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2017
Hi all,
I had to scrap my 2011 imac due to GPU defect.
I plan to take the mid tier imac 27, 32 Gb of RAM and SSD. I will need it for raw photo work with aperture or lightroom/capture one later.

At which step in the workflow will I have a significant disadvantage as I did not opt for

3.8 GHz / 580 or
i7?

Many thanks
Stefan

kindaichi81

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2015
Hi all,
I had to scrap my 2011 imac due to GPU defect.
I plan to take the mid tier imac 27, 32 Gb of RAM and SSD. I will need it for raw photo work with aperture or lightroom/capture one later.

At which step in the workflow will I have a significant disadvantage as I did not opt for

3.8 GHz / 580 or
i7?

Many thanks
Stefan

since u are already on the mid-tier one, might as well consider 580 or i7 to maximum the potential of the machine since the extra is already a fraction of the total price. u should be able to use the machine abit longer also.

Stef202

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2017
Thanks for your answers - but what´s exactly the noticeable advantage of Pro 580 when editing raw photos in aperture / lightroom, C1?

It´s not only the financial cost - it´s also the discussions on fan noise and thermal power design that make me think about taking even the base model, to be honest.

Thanks

Ylan

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm
Thanks for your answers - but what´s exactly the noticeable advantage of Pro 580 when editing raw photos in aperture / lightroom, C1?

It´s not only the financial cost - it´s also the discussions on fan noise and thermal power design that make me think about taking even the base model, to be honest.

Thanks

I have the i5 3.8, Radeon Pro 580, and it is very quiet. I have done a few hours gaming (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3) and have yet to hear the fan spin up.

Humbly, Ylan

Reactions: SackJabbit

PJivan

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015

Thanks

I5 580 here, deadly silent while using final cut, intense gaming both bootcamp and os x and while using plex...deadly silent! I7 i heard it's noisy tho

Reactions: SackJabbit

graybot

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
Wonder if your GPU is throttling?

No. Refreshing the resolution makes the performance immediately jump back up to a smooth 60fps. Temps aren't outside of normal range. I experienced throttling due to temps on my late 2012, this is nothing like that. This occurs even when there are few polygons or effects visible on screen, and even immediately after a (literal) cold boot.
[doublepost=1503072884][/doublepost]

I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled with custom options to not install the AMD settings software. So, driver-only.

Same problem :(

nullonade

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2017
I am having this issue with PUBG as well. I get great FPS 75% of the time. I open up my inventory (not demanding really) and i drop to about 20 fps. Or sometimes just out of nowhere I will drop quite low. Same happens with Overwatch. HAS TO BE SOFTWARE/DRIVERS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.