Radeon Pro good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBX, Oct 28, 2016.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Is this new Radeon GFX card good compared to what they could've had with Nvidia?

And why does Apple constantly switch from Nvidia to AMD & vice versa?

2. leman macrumors 604

Th closest Nvidia alternative is the mobile GTX 1050, which is not released yet. It will perform very similar to the Pro 460, give or take few. I am basing this on the fact that the desktop GTX 1050 is only slightly faster than the desktop 460RX. The mobile GTX 1050 will be a binned, most likely underclocked desktop chip, while the mobile Pro 460 is a binned downclocked desktop 460RX with two extra EUs. It is even possible that the Radeon will outperform the GTX 1050 here, but we won't know before we see the actual benchmarks.

3. SRTM macrumors regular

Its looks like it provides decent performance, and the 460 is on part with most modern mid-tier cards.
    So it can play most games fine :)

4. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I think the Pro 460 is competitive with Nvidias lower end cards (i.e. the 1050) but the 450 and 455 are around the same performance or better than last years R9 m370x.

They switch between the two because of who can deliver the best deal and the most suitable products.
    Because AMD was and still is in some ways struggling with selling GPUs, they are going to give Apple a better price. That also means, along with their smaller size, that they are willing to work on custom GPUs for notebooks such as the Radeon Pro line in the MacBook Pro.

Whereas for a while now, it seems like Nvidias approach has been to give companies standard (albeit configurable) GPU options for notebooks.

Although AMD cards are generally less powerful than their Nvidi counterparts, it is actually a good thing as it means Apple won't ditch dedicated GPUs in the Macs that have them, because they can have suitable ones made.

5. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

6. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

The research that i have done puts the Radeon Pro 460 on par or slightly lower than the GTX 965M

7. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Which is what MS went with for the high end Surface Book.. *great*.