Radeon X1900 XT HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MxJedi, Nov 28, 2007.

1. MxJedi macrumors newbie

ok guys so here i am sitting with my brand new ATI Radeon x1900 XT graphics card and after 15 mins of laboring to get the stupid thing fit in (quite a feat in itself considering the thing is nearly a foot and a half long) I turn on my mac pro to see nothing. I have been doing a lil bit of looking around and it is indeed the mac upgrade version (with the white box and extended chasis) but i can't seem to figure out what is wrong. Please any help would be nice.

2. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Hmm not sure what it could be, but have you tried resetting the PRAM?

EDIT - Did you connect the 6 pin power connector to the GPU?

3. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

could be this....

4. MxJedi thread starter macrumors newbie

i have no idea what you mean by resetting the PRAM and as for the 6 pin i did connect it but it was so hard to get in the back of the thing i am only 75% sure that it's in there securely however the thing is clearly getting power and when i got to about my mac it is picking it up just doesn't register it as Radeon or anything says:

pci1002,7249

5. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

which slot are you putting it in? It needs to be in the bottom most slot. It sounds like you have more than one card installed, correct?

6. MxJedi thread starter macrumors newbie

AH HA! you are prolly right. i put it in slot 3 and left my orriginal in 1 (for backup purposes such as this) back in 5 after i have tried switching.

7. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

i would leave the other one out completely and just install the 1900 in the bottom slot

8. MxJedi thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so i moved it to bottom slot then tried removing the old one both still with the same vigorous noise but lack of display. is it possible that i put the 6 pin upside down or something? Clamp up(card) Clamp down (cpu). I have never been so angry with a mac in my life

9. MxJedi thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry guys found the issue. I have powermac this requires mac pro.

10. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

The OEM one from Apple requires a Mac Pro. I think ATI sells a retail version for the Power Mac G5 with PCIe graphics. Not sure what the physical difference is between the cards. Check ATI/AMD's site.

11. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

bummer

12. MxJedi thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks again for the help guys. I have returned it to apple even though was a pain in the bumb since i had already opened and installed. (tried to tell me they would say i'm sorry with $40 off a purchase of $300 or more) i said that this was crap and i wasn't going to hang on to a perfectly good (though useless for me) card while i burned $700 down the hole after i staying up an entire night and finding literally ONE reference that outright stated that this card would not work with Power mac G5....and this wasn't on apple's site. I will soon be getting in my x1900 GT which is the Power mac version and identical other than 256 ram instead of 512 (winsome losesome) thanks for the help again guys.