Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Tomorrow or rather later today I should finally be receiving my Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition. After a lot of help on this site I decided on that one. My question now is in regards to installation. In terms of work it's a fairly simple installation just remove the stock AGP card and replace it with the new one. Then obviously install the software that come with the CD/DVD. What I wanted to know is if I had to do anything with the original card besides simply removing it. For example do I need to fix or remove something from OSX in conjunction with removing the hardware or will just removing and installing the new one suffice. I save most of my paperwork and CD/DVD's from all my Mac products. However, I didn't find one that had anything to directly do with Video card. I was wondering if I would need something like this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that I'm using the latest version of OSX.4 just incase this complicated or benefited my issue.

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
Nothing as complicated as that.
1. Shutdown your Mac.
2. Remove the old card.
3. Install the new card.
4. Boot up your sexy Mac.
5. Grab the latest driver set from ATI http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/mac/macosx10-4x-3x-radeon.html
The Preferences panel that gets installed allows you to tweak certain game or application settings.
6. Grab both and install both from the web site.
7. Restart and then watch the FPS go through the roof :p ;)

The ATI's are gorgeous cards, much richer colors than nVidia and they are able to hang in there longer when AA is enabled whereas nVidia cards tend to slow down.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Nothing as complicated as that.
<snip>
4. Boot up your sexy Mac.
:D
5. Grab the latest driver set from ATI http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/mac/macosx10-4x-3x-radeon.html
The Preferences panel that gets installed allows you to tweak certain game or application settings.
Yeah, that Control Panel really is superb.
I have the nVidia 7800 GT in my Quad, and I really miss it :(
In my old MDD Dual 1.25 I have the Radeon 9800 Pro installed, and used it alot, especially with older games like F1 CS 2000. Setting the 3D grfx to the max made this game look far better than on an nVidia using the standard AA and AF settings.
What's so special is that you can tweak the setting for each game seperately. :cool:

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Sweet! Thanks for the input. I'm looking foward to giving the new card a spin.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I noticed in the latest software update offered by ATI it says that the updates are basically no good for OS 10.4 users. Perhaps that's why I have had so much trouble with my X800 XT--it sleeps and then wakes up only to go back to sleep mode 10 seconds later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.