Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi guys,

Title's self-explanatory.

After sending in my MBP for a reball, I discovered that thermal throttling was very prevalent in everything I did, no matter how light or heavy.

Whenever the CPU entered TurboBoost mode and did a short spike from 0.8GHz to 3.1GHz, the temperature spiked from 58ºC to 99ºC at the same time.

Screenshot is attached.

I suspect that the repair shop must've messed around with the CPU's thermal paste; hence the abnormal behavior. The guy told me that he replaced the thermal paste (didn't specify whether it was on the GPU only or on the CPU as well) with silicone pad instead, saying that silicone pad would dissipate heat better.

What I discovered was that the silicone pad did indeed lower idling temperatures, but then, temperature also spiked way more sharply than before.

In short, changes in temperature are very extreme with silicone pad applied, compared to with thermal paste applied.

Another screenshot is attached from a 13" rMBP showing a gradual increase in temperature during the spike to 3.2GHz.

Thoughts, anyone?

PS sorry for the rambling post, but it's been bugging me to no end.

Left image: 13" rMBP
Right image: 15" 2011 cMBP

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-06 at 21.04.58.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-06 at 21.04.58.png
    495.3 KB · Views: 276
  • Thermal throttling.png
    Thermal throttling.png
    161.5 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
Hi guys,

After sending in my MBP for a reball, I discovered that thermal throttling was very prevalent in everything I did, no matter how light or heavy.

Whenever the CPU entered TurboBoost mode and did a short spike from 0.8GHz to 3.1GHz, the temperature spiked from 58ºC to 99ºC at the same time.

Screenshot is attached.

I suspect that the repair shop must've messed around with the CPU's thermal paste; hence the abnormal behavior. The guy told me that he replaced the thermal paste (didn't specify whether it was on the GPU only or on the CPU as well) with silicone pad instead, saying that silicone pad would dissipate heat better.

What I discovered was that the silicone pad did indeed lower idling temperatures, but then, temperature also spiked way more sharply than before.

In short, changes in temperature are very extreme with silicone pad applied, compared to with thermal paste applied.

Another screenshot is attached from a 13" rMBP showing a gradual increase in temperature during the spike to 3.2GHz.

Thoughts, anyone?

First of all, good to hear that your mbp is back to business !!!

Why don't you try open it up and repaste it using any paste you like ?

I love MX4

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
1. I don't have a Tri-wing screwdriver
2. I'm too chicken to open it up and reapply it myself :)

Do some heavy stress test hoping that it will failt before service warranty expires. If it doesn't fail, it won't probably fail anymore :p

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
Hi guys,

Screenshot is attached.

Thoughts, anyone?

1. I don't have a Tri-wing screwdriver
2. I'm too chicken to open it up and reapply it myself :)

Go ACE Hardware to get one !!!

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Could you post the name of the shop/eBay seller where you sent your machine in for repair so others might not make the same mistake if/when their machines fail out of warranty?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nah, I'll most probably send it back and ask the guy to replace the silicone pad with regular AS5 or MX4 instead :)

I think its easier, quicker and cheaper to do it yourself. Its not all that hard.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
FINAL UPDATE

The reballer replaced the silicone pad with Thermaltek TG-3 thermal paste, and did not charge me anything for the repair.

I can fully confirm that thermal throttling is no longer present and that it's operating back at its full capacity :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.