Radeongate Q's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yukari, Feb 17, 2015.

1. yukari macrumors regular

Is it possible to use external display via Thunderbolt for 2011 MBP's that have "Radeongate" problem? Or is the external display also controlled by the GPU?

2. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

If your GPU is bad the entire logic board is bad and it won't function in any form.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The external display is hardwired to the dGPU, if the GPU fails you're SOL and need a new logic board.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

The thunderbolt port is connected directly to the GPU.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

ftfy

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I thought the machines would still work with their internal displays, as long as you can force them to not use the discrete GPU?

I haven't heard much about Radeongate recently. Was it less widespread after all?

7. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

The OP was asking about the external display, not the internal display. Even if you can manage to disable the AMD graphics drivers to make the internal display work, it is only a temporary measure. You can read about it in this link if you want.

again HERE and HERE

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes sorry I misinterpreted the OPs question... I read it as "can I at least use it with an external display..."

Thanks. At some point I read that there is a class action lawsuit now. I wonder what the outcome will be.

Do you know if late 2011 machines are affected (I have one with 6750M)?

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They are the only machines affected

Sorry to break it to you but that and the 17 inch version from the same refresh are the only ones it applies to. There were some NVIDIA equipped machines from previous generations that had similar problems and we haven't seen any widespread problems with any of the later graphics cards yet.

10. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

The OP didn't mention that the internal display wasn't working but I am assuming that by asking about "radeongate" and using an external display that the internal display is affected.

Many need their MBP's professionally as graphics artists, musicians etc so I hope for their sake it doesn't take too long.

On the link I posted to the Apple Support Communities, if you search through the 801 pages there are posts for both the early and late 2011 15"/17" MPB with "radeongate" issues.

11. nudoru macrumors regular

Yep, my late 2011 w/ the 6750 went out with it after it was only 19 months old.

12. Flabasha macrumors member

My late-2011 15" is going strong with no problems - but I have the hi-res screen and the 6770. Anyone know if the 6770 has been immune to problems, or am I on borrowed time?

13. nudoru macrumors regular

All 2011 will have this issue

14. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

15" and 17". Not the 13".

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Good news

Looks like a repair program with a refund program for those who already paid has been put in place.

16. yukari thread starter macrumors regular

But will the new logic board have same soldering?

17. venom600 macrumors 6502a

The assumption is that they should have a solution now, but we won't know unless Apple says something or we wait a while after the replacements have been in use to see if they start failing again.

18. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

If my laptop breaks after 3 months for example, will I be able to repair for free or this programme is only available for limited time?

19. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The programme expires in late-February next year.

So it better break within this period, or within 3 months after the end of the programme.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say it only kicks the can down the road. When they introduced the same sort of repair program for older MBPs with failing GPUs, it was only a temporary solution, i.e., the GPU would fail again in the future.