Radeongate

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Andy348, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Andy348 macrumors 6502

So I have a 15" early 2011 MBP with the Radeon graphics card. Earlier this week it broke due to the notorious graphics card issue, and Apple is currently replacing the logic board and (I think) GPU under warranty

Now here is my issue: it took over two years for this issue to present itself. By that logic, am I crazy for believing I should get two and a half years out of this new hardware, providing I use it in the same fashion?

OTOH, I am contemplating selling the machine while it is still under warranty and purchasing a new machine simply to get away from the whole thing. These 5 days without a functioning laptop has been hell, especially because it is a super busy time of the year for me. I can't do this again, and I don't want it to happen immediately after warranty coverage ends (4 months).

I know there is little ability to predict the future, but it is likely that this problem will return quicker than it presented itself in the first place?

2. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

the 2011 15" has a graphics problem. Its all up to you to get it, i had a friend who sold his 2011 15". Its just all up to you

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Some people have reported having the replacement board fail within a few months. Impossible to say how long it will last. Do you feel lucky?