Radio advertisements coming through speakers!! Hacked? HELP ME!!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by J-tec, Sep 20, 2014.

1. J-tec macrumors newbie

Hey there everyone,

I have a ridiculous problem going on that I am trying to desperately solve. Before describing it, I just want to get some maybe helpful facts out of the way: I have a US Macbook Pro but live in Germany now. The laptop is located directly next to a TV, that has an antenna hooked up to it for digital TV signal. Here is what has been going on for about 3 months now:

One day I was streaming a tv show through my laptop, which I had hooked up to my TV and also a set of Logitech speakers. After the show was over, a beat played for about 3 seconds, mainly through the subwoofer. At first I thought it was the tenants upstairs, but then it kept happening.

Now over the past months, the problem has slowly gotten much worse: randomly an advertisement will start playing through the speakers for about 10 seconds, followed by the same beat, and then it stops. It happens about 2-3 times a day, at completely random times of the day, and even has happened in the middle of the night when the laptop is asleep! (I only close the screen, don't know if it's fully asleep?) The time it happened in the middle of the night, it played a song for about 45 seconds, until the beat came on at the end, and then it stopped.

For a while I kept thinking that it was the Logitech speakers, as you can there is a minimal feedback buzz coming through them. However, just now I was watching a show and I heard a random advertisement start to play - so I ran over to the laptop and unplugged the cable going to the speakers, and sure enough it kept playing through the speakers of my Macbook.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?! I'm extremely worried I have some kind of bug or some kind of security breach! Help please!!

Thank you!

Jonathan

Details of the Macbook Pro:

15" Retina
    OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Flash HDD

2. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Can anyone else hear these sounds or is it just you? :p

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

That's probably a good question to start!

Sounds like you have some electrical interference/crosstalk going on in your circuits. I had a similar issue and selective use of ground floats on some of the power plugs cleared it up for me. I'm not sure what your options are in Germany.