radio and its drain on battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PrimeCipher, Jul 15, 2008.

1. PrimeCipher macrumors member

I always thought my new 3g iPhone had a bad battery just because well everyone else has poor battery life as well. However I noticed turning everything off, push, wifi, 3g and brightness down to a minimum, I still could only listen to the radio using aol radio for a maximum of 4 hours. I realized after my second day using it that aol radio used the location services in order to properly stream channels. Just curious has anyone tried the paid radio app?And if so, does that utilize ls and how long does your battery last?

2. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Radio apps is using either WIFI or 3G, which has max usage of 5 hours or so (read the spec).

3. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

well i have a gen 1 phone and my battery went down to a little less than half after using the Aol radio for 3 hours....i didn't realized it used so much juice even on edge!

4. PrimeCipher thread starter macrumors member

Actually no, it uses location services, hence the popup window asking if you would like AOL Radio to locate you. I used the radio all day today with Wifi and 3g off.

5. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Let me ask you this, how do you think you receive the sound coming from your AOL radio app? Magic or FM signal?

6. PrimeCipher thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps via EDGE? The iPhone does have that you know...

7. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

It does seem a little low, but not that bad. Remember, during web surfing through EDGE it would load the page, then stop while you read. With radio, it's doing constant download streaming. This is why you're getting "bad" battery life.

8. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

First of all, what's the point of listening to "local" radio station when you can turn on a radio?

Second, I am sure you are NOT required to use location service and you can just scroll to your local stations.

Third, you are streaming media using apps...of course it drains your battery life. This has little to do with location service.

9. PrimeCipher thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks. Yeah I understand AOL Radio streams across the US and therefore needs to use something like LS so it doesn't have to buffer every second. But I figured if it grabbed local stations (I'm across the river from NYC) that it could just use EDGE or something.

Sigh, the point of listening to it is that I do not have a radio on my desk at work, and it's just as easy to have it on my iPhone.

Second, you are required to use it, because it streams throughout the US (and India apparently) requiring a higher connection speed so it doesn't continually buffer.

Third, I understand I am streaming media. But I figured that if I was literally pulling in a local station, one that is a few miles from my location) it would be able to utilize the EDGE network instead of turning on LS.

Having LS off, I would be willing to estimate that my battery life would improve significantly, over that 4 hour span.

And the point of me bringing this up is to ask about people's experience with the paid app. There has to be a reason its a paid application and not free when there are 2 other ones that are free (Pandoora and AOL Radio).

10. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I said WIFI or 3G, because I didn't think anyone would stream using EDGE on a 3G phone.

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Why? Because the concept of someone using an application that is able to be powered by a more battery efficient wireless technology is so utterly baffling to you?

12. PrimeCipher thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone tried the paid radio application. If so, what was your experience with it (i.e. how was the battery life, UI, etc.)?

13. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I was just saying that I find your reasoning to be false. Using AOL radio, you can scroll through ANY radio stations you wish to listen. LS is to be used so that AOL can identify local radio station easier, which has nothing to do with streaming. As far as using nearest cell tower, what other towers can your phone use?

Streaming media is going to drain your battery...period.

14. PrimeCipher thread starter macrumors member

And I understand it will drain my battery, but my point was to find out people's experiences with the paid radio application. If it was less of a drain on the battery, or if it could operate solely on the EDGE network without requiring the use of LS.

No point in buying something if it costs me money but does the same thing (or less) than its free counterpart.

15. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

What happens if you turn location services off in the settings then start this AOL radio program?

16. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I guess I could just say that to him. You don't need LS to run the program...and you can scroll to the local station as needed.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

AFAIK, the only time AOL Radio uses the LS is when you hit the "Locals" button. Then it goes out and figures out your location. After it's figured that out, I see no reason why it'd keep using LS. It's not like Google Maps.