Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
hi,

I'm quite happy with my iPhone 3 GS. However at home in Boston we seem to have intermittent radio interference that makes the iPhone almost unusable about 3 times/hour. In that case the signal goes down to 0 bars, the sound quality deteriorates and eventually the call fails. After 1 minute or so the signal strenght is good again and the call quality is fine. I don't think the problem is inside our house.

Who do I contact to solve that problem? It's a densly settled neighborhood in the middle of the city. I don't want to pay for investigating someone else's interference.

Does anybody have experience how to deal with this problem?

Thanks, Andi

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Does it only do it when at home or anywhere thruout the day?

the problem is only at home at the front of the house and the street in front of the house on several phones. I haven't done detailed tests with phones used in parallel. ATT should fix it IMHO. I suspect it's a transformer of the powerline or such. But I guess calling the power company won't help. First ATT would have to acknoledge the problem.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If it does it on random phones too then its not the iphone.
And I really doubt AT&T is going to fix an electric companys issue.

the problem is only at home at the front of the house and the street in front of the house on several phones. I haven't done detailed tests with phones used in parallel. ATT should fix it IMHO. I suspect it's a transformer of the powerline or such. But I guess calling the power company won't help. First ATT would have to acknoledge the problem.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
If it does it on random phones too then its not the iphone.
And I really doubt AT&T is going to fix an electric companys issue.

back in germany you would complain to the carrier. they would send a tech that measures interference and then they would tell the offending party to fix the problem. that could be a power company or a private person with a broken fridge. i hope here ion the US they do it in a similar way. ATT would not fix the problem only identify where the interference comes from.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I wish things worked like that around here too :D
My guess is AT&T would not have a clue what to do about it, or they'd lookup their coverage map and give you a generic answer and brush you off. Or most reps would be puzzled and not have answer at all.
But you can give it a try and let us know how it went. Prepare to be on hold for a while and be passed around from one rep to another and hope you get one that knows what they're doing and able to help you.

back in germany you would complain to the carrier. they would send a tech that measures interference and then they would tell the offending party to fix the problem. that could be a power company or a private person with a broken fridge. i hope here ion the US they do it in a similar way. ATT would not fix the problem only identify where the interference comes from.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
well, i called ATT and they say "not our problem and we don't know what to do about it". they noted my complaint but without many complaints there is nothing that will be done. seems i have to pay a tec to find out or live with the problem. i will live with the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.