radio mode option dissapeared from Aiport utility on 6. gen AP extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iphonik4, Jul 12, 2013.

1. iphonik4 macrumors newbie

Hi! I am a new user of the new Apple Airport Extreme 6. gen. Everything works just fantastic so far. But I have one question. In the Airport utility 6.3 (wireless settings) I have a little column called in English "radio mode" (just below the window I can rename my 5GHz WiFi and choose my country) when my previous Airport Extreme (5. gen.) is connected but when I connect my 6. gen. one, the column is not there anymore (see the first (5. gen. Extreme) and the second (6. gen. Extreme) screenshots). Sorry for the Czech language on the screenshots but I am sure that all of you know what I mean. The column where I can manually switch between 802.11a/n (5GHz) - 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz) radio modes. Is it just a problem with my Extreme or has Apple removed this feature from the new 2013 6. gen. Extreme? thanks

[​IMG] vs [​IMG]

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That option is gone on mine also, so it looks like it was removed.

[​IMG]

3. iphonik4 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you!! But why? :( I would understand if they would remove this from the whole Airport Utility 6.3(.1) but as I said, I can see this option in my 5. gen. Extreme settings... So how can I disable 5GHz network in the case of 6. gen. Extreme?

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The purpose of that setting was to limit 802.11n usage to only 5GHz band, or to remove 802.11n mode altogether. Obviously there were circumstances where someone would want to do so, probably a situation where there were very few 802.11n devices on the network and you might want to force those devices onto the 5GHz band - leaving the 2.4GHz to handle only b/g traffic.

I guess Apple decided such segmentation isn't desirable or necessary enough to support any more. It's not a feature I'll miss but I suppose depending on the devices you have on your Wi-Fi network it might have been a useful feature.

5. iphonik4 thread starter macrumors newbie

ohh I now I see the point. yep that was the reason why I was asking. I have wanted to assign the 802.11n to 5GHz only. Thank you :)